8 Reasons Why Indiana Basketball Is The Best

Because there is nowhere else is the country where this sport means so much.

1508

Since James Naismith created it in 1891, the sport of basketball has been a hugely popular sport throughout the world. Athletes of all ages and skill sets are capable of playing the sport in leagues formed for people ranging from toddlers to professionals. Although it has long since been a cherished way of life in many parts of the country, there is no denying Indiana basketball separates itself from the rest. From the mouth of Naismith himself, while the sport of basketball was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origins in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport." Although there are numerous facts that can be cited as to why basketball in the Hoosier state is a world all its own, here are eight truths that show why its truest roots are in the crossroads of America.

1) Indiana produces the most NBA players per capita.

In the '09-'10 NBA season, there were 152 hoosiers registered in the league, one of the most affluent years for Indiana. Since there are approximately 6.4 million people in the state, that would make it the most successful at developing players in the top basketball league in the world. Today, there are 22 hoosiers that grace NBA courts, making 1 out of every 150,000 males in Indiana a professional basketball player.

2) Indiana spares no expense when it comes to high school basketball.

Ninety percent of the largest high school basketball gyms in the U.S. are located in Indiana. Over 17 gyms in the state can hold over 6,000 spectators, while the New Castle Fieldhouse comes in first holding over 9,000 people.

3) Tony Hinkle.

Tony Hinkle was the famous football, basketball, and baseball coach at Butler University for 50 years, and also a born-and-bred Indiana resident. Most revered for his career record as a basketball coach with a record of 560 wins to 392 losses, he established the "Hinkle System." This offensive strategy emphasized motion, passing, picks, and screens, and is still a leading method of play in the sport today. Butler University commemorates him with the naming of their basketball arena, Hinkle Fieldhouse, while the world remembers him when playing with the modern basketball, a creation of his. He has also been inducted into both the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

4) Indiana is dotted with successful NCAA teams throughout.

Another Indiana legacy is the development of college basketball teams. From Butler's underdog story in the 2011 NCAA finals, to IU's record for producing top athletes in their program, the NBA and the IHSAA aren't the only leagues to be proud of. Notre Dame, DePauw, Purdue, and Ball State have flourishing records for basketball program success, not to mention Purdue and IU are part of the most competitive conference in the NCAA, the Big 10, alongside teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.

5) The movie Hoosiers starring Gene Hackman.

Basketball in the crossroads state has also inspired films such as the 1986 hit, "Hoosiers." Filmed in multiple gyms across Indiana, this film was loosely based off of the Milan High School team that against all odds won the 1954 state championship. Today, this film is often listed as one of the best sports films ever made.

6) Hoosier Hysteria.

The Indiana High School Basketball tournament, nicknamed "Hoosier Hysteria," is one of the most widely attended high school tournaments in the country. More often than not, the final four and final two games of the tourney sell out Banker's Life Field House where the the Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever play.

7) Larry Legend.

Famed Celtic champion and owner of the Indiana Pacers, Larry Bird has a huge track record to be proud of. Born and raised in French Lick, Indiana, he has carried not only his high school team, but also Indiana State University to basketball glory. Today we regularly see him in suits on the bench and on TV discussing game strategy, however, not too long ago this man was a force to be reckoned with on the court.

8) Barn Ball.

Perhaps above all other qualities that puts Indiana basketball above the rest is the lengths Hoosiers will go to in order to play the sport. From hanging goals on houses, silos, and barns, to just playing in the local parks, there is no obstacle that can keep Indiana residents off the court. Some of the most interesting gymnasiums established here reside in barns out in the most unlikely of county places. One of the most famous rests in Franklin, Ind., where to this day, high school teams, neighborhood teams, and just community members travel to in order to shoot some hoops.