10 Things We Look Forward to About Summer at the Jersey Shore

It's our own version of paradise.

59

The Jersey Shore, for many of us, will always be our home. Although summer is just a few short months, there are may sweet and indescribable things that make summer at the shore so amazing. These things keep us going in the winter and have us longing for summer each and every day. The Jersey Shore is a very special place, but in the summer it's unimaginably fun, charming, and peaceful all at the same time. Here are some of the many things that we all look forward to amongst returning to the Jersey Shore.

1. Beach days. All day. Every day. After being in hibernation all winter long, it's finally time to throw on our favorite pair of flip-flops and catch some well-needed rays. Everyone knows that the beach will be on your schedule more often than not, even just for a few hours a day. Nothing beats jumping in the waves with friends or getting burnt to a crisp as you lay out for hours at a time.

2. Summer concerts. Concerts at the Jersey Shore are not hard to come by. Every weekend there is at least some type of concert playing somewhere in the area. It can become a crazy scene, as tons of people flock to the PNC Bank Art Center or the Stone Pony's Summer Stage. I don't know what's more fun, the train-ride there or the actual concert itself ... if you can remember either.

3. Ice cream. Is an explanation even necessary? Ice cream and the Jersey Shore go together like peanut butter and jelly. From Sundae's to Hoffman's to the variety of places on the boardwalk, there's always a place for you and your BFFs to fix your late-night cravings.

4. "Benny" watching. With every summer comes a new wave of what us locals call "Bennies," a.k.a. tourists who just don't know how to act at the beach. We pride ourselves in searching for them and their obvious appearance: normally, high socks and flip flops. Then we have others that think they are pure Guido. We usually just shake our heads in disbelief because, obviously, that's not how we dress at the Jersey Shore.

5. Boardwalks. So many boardwalks. Whether you just feel like taking a jog or running around at night with your friends, the boardwalk will always be the perfect place. Home to (still) fun rides, the best funnel cakes and other goodies, the boardwalk will always hold a special place in your heart. Also, let us admit, we all crave the boardwalk's old-fashioned lemonade in the dry winter.

6. Relaxing at the inlet. We all know there is absolutely nothing better than spending a few hours chatting with your close friends at the inlet. From jamming to your favorite tunes, to playing headlight games with other cars across the water, your car almost becomes its own little party. It's not really summer unless you do this an unnecessary amount of times.

7. Devouring a PEC. All locals know that a PEC is short for a pork roll and cheese bagel sandwich, a.k.a. the greatest food to ever exist. Yes, we are very much obsessed with pork roll — or Taylor Ham — and no, it is not a person. Pork roll is like Canadian bacon, but much better, and it is considered a main food group here at the Jersey Shore. No summer hangover is complete without a gatorade and a PEC.

8. Sunrise visits. Living so close to the beach means that anyone can wake at the crack of dawn to watch the sun rise over the ocean. Nothing beats a summer morning with friends and family, as you gather on the beach to watch the sunrise. There's absolutely no better way to start the day.

9. Riding bikes. It seems as though every town on the Jersey Shore is a bike town. From when we were young, we rode our bikes everywhere across town. There wasn't anywhere that we wouldn't go. Even if one can drive now, it is always nice to spend an evening under the sunset riding around with friends.

10. Being "home." There is nothing that we take pride in more than our home at the Jersey Shore. We are — and will always be — Jersey Strong. We cannot wait to be back at the shore each and every summer to be surrounded by our beautiful beaches, fun people, and everything else that makes the Jersey Shore our home.