Fashionable Basics for Broke College Students

Stick to the basics, but don't be a basic b*%ch.

29

Fashion is one of the best forms of expression and for college kids, it’s one of the easiest (and least permanent) lifestyles choices to experiment with.

Besides a rebellious dye job or a piercing, adjusting your personal style is another way to reflect the changes college encourages you to make to be more independent. I mean, unless you’re sick or it’s -3⁰ outside, there should never be an excuse to wear sweats to class. Anyone can be stylish and with a list of basic fashion essentials, but updating your wardrobe doesn’t have to be tough or expensive.  The following list is just a taste of the basics that will transform you into a college style icon and a few of the places to get them at an affordable price.

1. Striped Shirt 

While more ubiquitous on the French Riviera or on pretentious up-and-coming painter, a perfect striped shirt is great for every season and looks amazing on every body type. But the secret to the perfect striped shirt lies in its characteristics; the length of the sleeve should be ¾ (or a full length sleeve you can roll up), slightly loose around your torso, and ¼ inch black stripes, so as not to overtake your frame with its horizontality. Over the centuries there have been many attempts, but the closest I’ve seen to perfection is located at L.L. Bean for around $30. 

2. A Great Jean 

This timeless classic has been empowering women to wear the pants in the relationship since the 1950’s. Jeans can be casual or dressy depending how you accessorize, but finding the right pair can be a challenge. Jean shopping is actually such a hassle for myself and most women so we settle on a pair we think fit alright. The bottom line is that your booty should be accentuated, they should flatter the rest of your body shape and get whatever size looks the best on because no one can see the label on the inside but you. If you find a pair worthy of “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants”, stay with that company forever because while your size may fluctuate, the style won’t fade. My personal favorites are a dark skinny or a really cut up boyfriend jean both found on sale at Nordstrom Rack. 

3. White Sneakers 

I practically lived in my white sneakers this year because they literally go with everything. For class, going out, a choreographed dance routine, you name it, and white sneakers are always acceptable. The downside is they can get dirty almost instantly, but if you have a Tide bleach stick, your white sneakers will be saved! The basic uniform for college girls have been either the low or high top Converses but you can always change it up with either Supergas or Ked’s. Charlotte Russe has some for around $12, seriously can’t beat that! 

4. Statement Necklace 

Probably the easiest way to upgrade an outfit is with a statement necklace. Depending on your personal style, there are millions of choices to choose from and they can all add some much needed pizazz to your Alt-J basic tee. Be warned, if you have a statement necklace on your person, every other part of your outfit should be toned down to get the full effect. Or if you’re like me, wear whatever you want and even if it clashes, you still look great. Francesca’s Collections boutiques have some of the best variety and quality of statement necklaces and usually have bogo sales on them bi-monthly. 

5. Investment Sweater 

While I love my Forever 21 grey knit kimono style cardi, it pills and unravels quite fast. While you can have high fashion at an affordable price, one investment sweater that goes with everything is always nice to have. Stick to neutral colors such as creams, browns, and blacks and a length that is proportional to your height since cropped or ankle length sweaters don’t go with everything in your closet. Some of the best-quality-lower-priced-for-high-end sweaters I’ve found are on either the British fashion site, ASOS, or Anthropologie.   

6. Black Tights 

The black tight has come a long way. Depending on your style, this basic tight can be transformed to a fishnet, a cat themed, or a lacey, paisley type to add just a little edge to a girly outfit. While I long for the day I own a pair of the legendary Wolford brand stockings, I’ll settle for a cheap pair at H&M because, knowing me, I’m bound to get a run in them on the first day. 

7.Florals

While florals can be seen as ultra girly or only for spring, adding pops of dark or floral-like prints offers a fun, unexpected texture to any regular outfit. Liberty of London is the go-to for floral authority, as can be seen in their rockin’ new line with Vans, the Aussie team at Sabo Skirt have taken florals to a new and cutting edge modern silhouette. 

8. Blazer

Like it or not, you’ll probably have to "Suit Up" for a job or an internship interview at some point in your college career. Showing up in a sharp, bold blazer is definitely the first step to making a great first impression. Your blazer should reflect your personality with cool buttons or a slight print or stripe to have your future employer remember you as an outstanding candidate. This awesome blazer can also be used for a dressy occasion over a dress or a tee and jeans. Some of my favorites are sold at Target (bonus points if it’s from a designer colab).

9. Crazy Colorful 

You should own at least one super colorful thing because it’ll come in handy one day and people should be less afraid of wearing colors. Seriously anything at Custo Barcelona will count for this basic. 

10. Trench Coat 

Last, but certainly not least, a basic trench coat. This classic basic was popularized by the likes of Audrey Hepburn and Natasha Richardson and is still relevant in today’s style circles. Whatever color you choose should accent the rest of your clothes. My favorite will always be the beautiful Burberry Prorsum Mid-length trench but, for those of us with a budget, try searching your local clothing exchange retailers, like Buffalo Exchange or Plato’s Closet, because the selections may surprise you and you get it at a fraction of the cost. 

Style is in the eye of the beholder, so never be afraid to take a fashion risk if you think it’s right for you. These are just the building blocks to build your stylYou do you, and everything will fall into place.