10 Things To Look Forward To This Fall | The Odyssey Online

10 Things To Look Forward To This Fall

35
10 Things To Look Forward To This Fall

It's been a chilly and rainy weekend in Corvallis and, for complete disclosure, my inner basic took full advantage. At barely 68 degrees, I donned my Ugg boots and full length leggings and images of school supplies danced in my head. It smelled like changing times and it seemed the sun already sat a little lower in the sky. Perhaps I am disillusioned by the promise of rainy mornings and warm lattes, but this long and hot summer has made a hard right into early fall.

Grab your pumpkin spice latte, your coziest cable-knit sweater, and get in these 10 things to look forward to this Fall.

1. Colder weather.

We are nearing the brink of true fall, September 22, and that means drizzly mornings and colder nights. I find myself excited to wear sweatshirts and hoodies; giddy over mornings that call for hot coffee and fuzzy socks. Yes, sometimes it pours for a week straight, but we also get perfect breaks of sunshine, a gentle descent into the coming winter.

2. Salted caramel lattes.

I bet you were expecting me to say pumpkin spice latte. And while I'm a fan of the fall classic, salted caramel is pumpkin spice's severely underrated cousin. Often sold as a mocha, I prefer the lightness of the latte with salted caramel over the chocolate. And on a hectic, rainy morning where it feels like the stress of classes is going to crush my soul, a hot, salted caramel latte is basically all I need to push through those extra few hours.

3. Fall candles.

Let me be the first to admit -- I'm a sucker for candles. Any time of year, any time of day, I will burn a candle. But, as any avid candle burner knows, the best scents are the fall and winter ones. While obviously not made from authentic fall smells (which would be much more similar to mold, rain, and the inside of the library), the cinnamon, apple, and hazelnuts combinations invoke images of family gatherings, holidays, and maroon sweaters.

4. Warm clothes.

Speaking of maroon sweaters, bikini season has an expiration date and there's no better follow up than opaque black tights and a cozy, fall-colored sweater. Why? Partly to blame is the romanticism of fall and the other part is simply an excuse to break out my classic and elegant girly wardrobe; from navy and plum dresses to camel scarves and pea coats, I secretly live for any excuse to look classy and sophisticated with a hint of Princess Kate's charm.

5. Football.

In complete and full disclosure -- I freaking love football. And while I may not fully understand every aspect of the game, I love the family that football creates and here in Oregon, I have one of the best families around. It will be an interesting season here in Beaver Nation, our first with new coach Gary Andersen. As a loyal Beaver fan, I will stand with the team through all the triumphs and all the pitfalls, no matter how little or grand they may be.

6. Changing seasons.

I love me some sunshine. I'm a native of Southern California so hot summer nights and early sunrises make my nostalgia bone tickle. But I must admit, I am spoiled up here in Oregon. We are blessed with four seasons and, while it sometimes feels like it does nothing but rain until July, we actually get a pleasant presentation of each season. And with the cliched array of colored leaves and the drizzly days and nights, fall takes first place.

7. Halloween.

Oh, Halloween. By far my second favorite holiday (Christmas being the first, obviously), Halloween is the best party day (weekend) of the season. Particularly in a college town, like the one I live in, Halloween rivals any other weekend for legendary rage-fests and jaw-dropping lines at the bar. It also presents an opportunity for some of the most creative people you know to bring to life some of the craziest costumes. And that's what Halloween is about, isn't it? A chance to be something you're not?

8. Bar crowds.

"Bars." It's the chant that rings out somewhere between 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. any given Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night. And while summer provides a furlough from the sea of sweaty bodies and sticky drinks, by summer's end, I constantly find myself wishing for the crowds of people that frequent during the school year. It seems like with the sea comes the need for a bigger net, a.k.a my slightly-slutty-but-perfectly-bar/club-acceptable outfit is much more appropriate (disclaimer: I'm a feminist, but I also appreciate when other people appreciate).

9. Daylight savings time ends.

I think all that really needs to be said here is that we move the clocks back an hour and I still get tired at the same time, but the universe says that it's earlier. More sleep. Sleep wins every time.

10. New possibilities.

I'm sorry to sound so sappy and feel-goody, but I do feel a sense of new opportunity when fall comes. Maybe it's the metaphor I've made for the trees shedding their leaves is me, shedding my past mistakes and errors (clearly I'm the trees in this metaphor). Or it's knowing that in just a few short months, the calendar year will be over and a new set of 365 days will arrive to make new mistakes and new successes. For whatever reason, I embrace the changing season and see it as an excuse to grow. Ironic with all those dead leaves, huh?