10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Want To Be a UNI Panther | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Want To Be a UNI Panther

If you haven't heard already, the University of Northern Iowa is a pretty rockin' place. Even Forbes agrees.

108
Joe Whittemore

Forbes recently released a new study titled “The Colleges Where Students Most Want To Go In 2015” which surveyed 2,700 high school seniors on universities they most want to attend. At the top of the list you will find predictable institutions such as Harvard University (No. 1), Yale University (No. 4), and NYU (No. 8). But out of the top 25 Universities on the list, there was only one institution out of all the Midwest. That’s roughly 12 states that are, arguably, underrepresented. But let’s take a look at the one university from the Midwest that actually made the list…

The University of Northern Iowa.

To some, this may have come as a surprise considering that UNI is usually referred to as “the little sister” of the three state schools in Iowa. But to us Panthers, there was no shock in seeing a little purple and gold on the list of most desirable universities. Let me enlighten you as to why UNI is one of the greatest universities ever and why you should want to be a Panther.

1. It’s the right fit.

With around 12,000 students, UNI is a great medium sized school. If you ask any student here why they chose to come to UNI, you can bet a good chunk of them will have a response like “it’s not too big, not too small.” You just can’t get that with a lot of other universities on the list.

2. We are victorious.

Whether you are watching our athletic teams run circles around the rest of the Missouri Valley Conference or taking a gander at our graduation and retention rates, it is likely that UNI is on the winning side. UNI is a very forward-thinking university, trailblazing the way for other institutions to follow.

3. Our campus is stunning.

With over 10,000 trees on campus (yes, 10 THOUSAND), a whole village of friendly squirrels, and some beautiful collegiate architecture, the University of Northern Iowa is one campus that you will never forget. Take a seat in one of our purple and gold chairs and just soak it all in.

4. Cedar Falls is the best place to live.

Cedar Falls, Iowa is home to the UNI Panthers and everyone is proud to live here. There is a lot to explore in Cedar Falls, like George Wyth State Park, downtown picturesque Main Street, and the Cedar River just to name a few.

5. Purple & Gold looks good on everyone.

Especially on Fridays. Are you a supporter of Panther Fridays? ‘Cause you should be.

6. We are rich in traditions.

UNI has a ton of unique history that we Panthers are extremely proud of. Just about anywhere you look around campus has a story behind it. We pride ourselves on our traditions so much that apps have been created in order to encourage everyone to partake in them.

7. We have over 250 student organizations.

There is no excuse to not get involved at UNI. With 200-plus student orgs, there is bound to be one that strikes your interest!

8. Our music, art, and theatre departments are stellar.

Not all universities welcome all students regardless of their major to be a part of the choirs or main stage theatre performances. UNI does. And the caliber of our arts are better because of it.

9. Our athletics are fierce.

Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Rugby—you name it—our sports teams are competitive and fun to watch. President Obama once said, “You do not want to bet against UNI.”

10. Being a Panther means being a part of a family.

Most college freshmen come to college feeling homesick and a little overwhelmed. That is inevitable. What sets UNI apart from other schools is its ability to instantly feel like home. Whether it’s the lifelong friends you’ve made from living on campus or simply the friendly face you see every day while walking to class, we are a Panther family. And you could be, too.