10 Lessons I've Learned From 'Parks And Recreation'

Adulting sucks sometimes, but that's why we're allowed to consume alcohol.

169

I recently started watching the show "Parks and Recreation." The documentary-like show follows the Parks and Recreation department in Pawnee, Indiana. My first impression of the show was that it wasn't to be taken seriously and it would be a just-for-fun show. But I was wrong, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've learned many new lessons and reinforced what I already know. I highly recommend watching the show: it will make you laugh and teach you something in the process.

1. Treat yo self.

In this episode, Donna and Tom set aside one day that they call "Treat Yo Self." They go out and buy everything as a treat to them. The show exaggerates the actual lesson. You need to treat yourself every now and again. How you do that is obviously up to you, but you should do this to reward yourself just because.

2. Adulting sucks sometimes.

April is right. Being a responsible adult sucks. Sometimes we just want to have our moms make us better when we are sick. Sometimes we just want to sit and pout because we didn't get what we want. Sometimes we have to refrain from buying something we really want because we are saving up to go on a trip or buy an updated car. Sometimes we have to be the better person when others are acting like a jerk. But what makes adulting worth it? We get to buy alcohol.

3. You are never alone.

Learn to spend time by yourself. Find something you love doing on your own. When it seems as if there is no one there, there is. You. You'll always have yourself. A couple words of caution, though: never lose all of yourself in someone because the reality is that people leave and you'll be left wondering who you are and who you were before they came into your life. There is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely. You can be surrounded by people yet still feel alone.

4. Caring too much can be harmful.

Stay with me on this one. Kindhearted people, my mom for example, always think of others before themselves and put others' needs before their own. When asked about they want, they usually don't know what to say because they always spend time putting others wants before their own. It's often we don't realize all they sacrifice for others. And these kindhearted people get so used to putting themselves last that they forget to think about themselves, and that's mentally harmful.

5. In every joke, there is a little bit of truth.

I'm fairly sure I've heard of this before from someone or something. Jokes, sarcasm, and wit all are used as a cover to protect us from feeling the full effect or not wanting the other person know just how much you actually like them. We hide behind the jokes because it's easier and you don't want to face what's really going on. The more jokes, sarcasm, or witty remarks you hide behind only end up biting you up in the end.

6. The people or things we love will hurt us at one point.

Ben loves calzones, but in this episode the calzones gave him food poisoning. This is a hard fact of life. Whether it's intentional or unintentional, it still hurts. Maybe they are sorry. Maybe they don't care. Either way, this is a choice on their part, not yours. It is not a reflection of you, but how you react. The best way to deal with this is to telling them, letting them know that you are hurt. Whatever is decided, at least you know all you could.

7. You are enough.

Sometimes we are forced to make hard decisions. Sometimes, in a given situation, we don't always make the "right" choice. Sometimes we have those days when nothing seems to be going right. But you know what? You are human, and you are enough. Everyone has those days when we don't feel enough for friends, family, and others you know. You are. I know it might be hard, but don't let a bad day, hard decision determine your worth and importance as a human.

8. Friendships tend to survive when romantic relationships don't.

I don't quite understand why this is, but it makes sense. Look at Ann and Leslie and look how boyfriends come and go, yet they stay together. The lesson here is to not forget about your friends when you get into a relationship. Yes, it's important and fun to spend time with your new significant other, getting to know each other. No, don't let yourself get so wrapped up in them that you forget your friends and spending time with them too. Chances are that they don't want to tell you in fear of backlash and denial on your part.

9. It's OK to have no idea what are doing.

In today's society, we think we need to have everything planned out well in advance, every aspect of our lives figured out before age 5. Don't listen to those people. It's OK to not know if you want to get married. It's OK to not know what you want to major in college. Just do what feels right to you, what is enjoyable to you. There is no need to rush through your life to the point you are not really living.

10. Human up and face the situation.

I get it. Sometimes we just want to wish or hope the situation at hand will go away on its own. It won't. There is no use trying to run from it either. Or sometimes we have a family or work commitment you can't get out of that conflicts with a social event. You can hope all you want, but it's the way life goes and sometimes things just don't work out how and when you want them to.