15 Life Lessons I Learned From New Girl

15 Life Lessons I Learned From New Girl

Because sadly we can't all be Jess, but we can try.

904
15 Life Lessons I Learned From New Girl

1. Prepare yourself for the unpredictable.

Life is going to throw a lot at you. One day you will be at home typing up your "what I will have accomplished in five years" list and five years later you will be approached by a man you don't know asking you if you want to go to Cuba with him. Being prepared for the unpredictable doesn't mean being prepared to say yes to every opportunity that comes your way, being prepared for the unpredictable means accepting the fact that you don't have control over everything. Life, as cliche as it sounds, really is a wild ride. Strap yourself in, hold on tight, keep all arms and legs inside the ride at all times, and take a deep breath because before you know it life is going to feel a lot like the Kingda Ka.

2. Sometimes you just have to go with it.

As if the twists and turns weren't enough, life comes with a lot of bumps in the road. It also comes with random animal crossings, traffic cones, detour routes, broken headlights, and poor weather conditions. It's going to be ok. Trust your gut and do the best you can.

3. Perspective is everything.

There will be days when you just can't. Can't eat dinner without spilling food on yourself, can't read an article on your phone without dropping it on your face (hopefully not this one), can't get out of bed because there's a world out there and yes, it's scary. Remember to keep everything in perspective. No matter how dramatic your life or you get remember to look at the big picture and remind yourself that no matter what you're up against there's always tomorrow.

4. Change can be a very good thing.

People like to have favorites. They want something to be their "thing." But it's ok if spaghetti was your favorite food in 3rd grade and now you really like pistachio ice cream. Sure you went through a phase when you really connected to Blink 182, who didn't, but you don't have to keep their cd in the car at all times to make sure everybody knows. Change is good, embrace it, let it happen, and before you know it change will happen again.

5. Remember to take care of yourself.

People aren't always going to know what you need. Life might be a lot easier if everyone could read your mind but it would also be terrifying. Go ahead and speak up for yourself. People would rather you tell them you need to rest than turn around and see you sleep dancing at their favorite concert and people would rather grab a bite to eat with you than deal with your notorious hangry mood swings.

6. Alone time is crucial.

It's ok to tell people to go away. If your roommate comes into your room everyday and eats breakfast on your bed when you want to sleep in kick her out. If your dads idea of bonding with you is watching tv but the newest episode of Teen Wolf is on, and let's be real things are going to get awkward real fast, you can say not now. If you just had a terrible break up and your best friends rushed over with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of cheap champagne when you really just want to cry, leave the room and cry. But remember people want to be there for you. At one point you're going to have to eat breakfast, change the channel, and dance around with your bestie and a bottle in your hand.

7. You deserve to be loved.

Humans get lonely. We stay up till 2 am wondering what our soul mate might be up to, I'm not the only one who does this, we talk to the dog, because he's the only one who truly understands, and we call a friend and drag them out shopping with us, because retail therapy always seems like a good idea. You will have friends who are night owls, pets who want to be by your side, even if they have to lay in your tissue avalanche, and people who want nothing more than to tell you no to that expensive Kate Spade purse that just went on "sale." That's because you are loved, and trust me, you deserve to be.

8. Pat yourself on the back.

The world is quick to hand us a new list of things to accomplish as soon as we finish the first one. Sometimes life gets tiring just looking at what you have to do. Take a moment and remind yourself what you have accomplished. You may not have won a gold medal, become the next Food Network Star, or hit the game winning home run at Wrigley Field, but you've come a long way. Go ahead and high five yourself, breathe, and do the next high five worthy task on your list. You rock.

9. It's ok to be afraid.

Things are going to get scary. Maybe it's an interview at a big hot shot corporation or a spider dangling five inches above your head when you wake up in the morning. It's ok to be afraid, what's not ok is letting yourself get too scared to take on the challenge.

10. Shit happens.

It happens, its unavoidable, it comes without warning. It will surprise you just as quickly as the real thing will after a dinner at Taco Bell.

11. You are going to have to pick yourself back up.

When you get bucked off the horse or thrown under the bus you are going to have to know how to pick yourself back up. Having faith in anything, whether that's something bigger than us, your family and friends, or most importantly yourself, is going to make that a lot easier. You can do it. You might need a moment, you might need some help, but no matter what you need to know you're strong enough to get back up.

12. Your best is enough.

A lot is going to be asked of you and sometimes people are going to make you feel like you fell short. If you can look in the mirror and know you gave it your all then you have nothing to apologize for. If you can't then try harder next time. You are going to make mistakes, you are going to have days when you aren't motivated, and then there will be times when you kill it. Just keep doing the best you can and own it.

13. Embrace your awkward.

I might know a little more than most what awkward feels like. I have kicked my foot in the air and watched my shoe go flying thirty feet towards a man rounding a corner in a mall, I have thrown off my cover up in front of five uncles without having a bathing suit on underneath, and I sang "It's The Climb" at a middle school talent show. Whatever. If you don't have awkward, weird, embarrassing, face-palm moments, are you really living?

14. Be yourself.

All that insanity you bring to the table is going to come with a bunch of other traits. Responsibility, courage, adaptability, sensitivity, humor, kindness, you name it. A lot of times the cons we hide might be some of our biggest pros, so put it all out there. If Susie doesn't like it Sally will. (And no one really cares what Susie thinks, she's wrong.)

15. Have fun!

Find the things you love and do them. If you like caramel ribbon crunch frappuccino's don't order skinny mochas, if you are the school hula hoop champ don't hide your talents, and if you love to dance for goodness sakes go shake your tail feather!