Mourning Nancy Reagan: A Champion Of Goodness

Millennials didn't get to see the First Lady's accomplishments in life, but we can honor them in her death.

26
Dailymail.co.uk

Former First Lady, Nancy Reagan, died on March 6, 2016, at the age of 94. The cause of death was reported as a congenital heart failure. The Millennial generation wasn't around to see her time in the White House, but we see impacts of her actions today. She is almost always mentioned in lists of most influential First Ladies, and rightfully so. She campaigned for causes before she met Ronald, while in the White House, and even after his death. To honor her life, let's thank Mrs. Reagan for all of her contributions to society.

Just Say No

We've all heard the phrase, "Just Say No." Many of us probably had class time devoted to the D.A.R.E. program, designed to teach children the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol. This was Nancy Reagan's platform during her time in the White House. Her drug and alcohol awareness campaign is one of the most famous among issues championed by First Ladies. I mean, 30 years later we're still using that phrase. In the 1980s, the student drug and alcohol use rate went down thanks to the Just Say No platform.

Falling in Love

Nancy and Ronald Reagan had a love story for the ages. The two were hopelessly devoted to each other. The story of how the pair met is adorable. Ronald Reagan was the president of the Screen Actors Guild, and Nancy Davis (her maiden name) was put on a list of suspected communist sympathizers. Nancy met with Ronald for dinner and the two hit it off immediately.

Nancy was known for being extremely loyal and protective of her husband. She always looked out for Ronald's best interests and was known for telling him about staff members she thought to be unloyal. In many photographs of the Reagans, you can see the love in their eyes. Even though we didn't witness it, the couple made 1980's America believe in love. Nancy and Ronald Reagan were married for 52 years, until Ronald's death in 2004.

Champion of Goodness

Long before she met Ronald Reagan, Nancy Davis took pride in helping others through polio awareness. But her most notable charity works includes the Just Say No campaign and raising awareness about Alzheimer's. Nancy Reagan was one of the first and most prominent people to campaign for Alzheimer's awareness. In 1994, her husband was diagnosed with the disease. She took care of him as he regressed for 10 years. That's when she started fighting. Mrs. Reagan was ferocious in demanding money be put into researching the disease. She advocated for stem cell research to learn more about this illness. For this, Nancy Reagan was criticized by the same Republicans who admired her husband. She was told that Ronald wouldn't have advocated for stem cell research, if he were alive. Her response was that Ronald Reagan didn't have to take care of Ronald Reagan for 10 years. She had seen the devastating effects up close and personal. Every day, she watched her husband progress further and further, through the stages of Alzheimer's. Although Nancy Reagan didn't get to see the day of the Alzheimer's cure, without her dedication to the issue, we would not know everything that we know about the disease today.

Our generation didn't get to see the power of Nancy Reagan, in Hollywood, as California's First Lady, or as the First Lady of the United States. But it's important that we recognize someone who gave so much to helping others throughout her life. Nancy Reagan has left many impacts on society through her hard work and dedication. Now, she can rest and be reunited with her beloved husband.