13 Things Science Majors Can Relate To

13 Things Science Majors Can Relate To

Bunsen burners aren't even half of it...

43
13 Things Science Majors Can Relate To
Wikipedia

Every science major out there knows that their major is unlike any other, and no one quite understand the struggle we go through (fellow classmates aside). Some of these struggles differ slightly between biology, chemistry, physics and so on, yet we can all agree on a few points that just get to us sometimes.

1. Every major is easier than yours

Sorry communications and business majors, your life is actually the easiest thing ever. And yes, we wish we had it.

2. You don't have a 'syllabus day'

Instead, we're going to go straight into an hour and a half lecture covering the string theory, and you have online homework due next class and need to read 50 pages out of the book you probably haven't bought yet. That's cool right?

3. Your textbooks probably weigh more than you

If there are days you can't put all the books you need into your backpack because you wouldn't be able to lift it, you're probably a science major. If you paid $100 or more for them, you are definitely a science major.

4. You can't count the number of hours you study

"Yes, I would like all of you to study at least 20-30 hours a week outside of class," said all five of your professors.

5. Or the number of hours you work on labs

Will it ever make sense that the 20 hours of work you put into a lab a week only counts for 1 credit hour? Well of course not, but you're going to do it anyways, and it's going to be hell!

6. You can study anywhere because otherwise there's no time

Are you walking in between classes? Eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Spending 5-20 minutes in the bathroom? Sitting in any non-science class? Then yes, this is prime time for you to be studying because you know you don't actually have any 'free' time until spring break!

7. You would do just about anything for a nap

Have you gotten less than 6 hours of sleep in the last three days? Are midterms coming up? Then would you like to sell your first born in return for a 30 minute nap? Probably.

8. Your life is a compilation of science memes

Whether its the Aliens guy or Bill Nye, there is probably a meme out there that relates to your current situation, (emotional or otherwise), and you absolutely love it.

9. When someone complains about writing a 'paper', you just laugh

Oh, you had to write a 2 page paper about the Great Depression? Double spaced? Well, I understand your pain, my 20-page thesis (excluding figures and references) on thermodynamics is right on par with that. We should compare!

10. You want to throttle most nursing majors

Wait, so you're confused as to why you need to understand what bacteria to do, and how they relate to your field? You left the gas jet on for 5 minutes but don't know why you feel like passing out? Oh, me too.

11. You've probably (accidently) set something on fire at least once

So busen burners aren't the easiest thing in the world to use, especially when you have them turned all the way up. Or you were just fooling around.

12. Some days you have no idea what you're doing

Sometimes it's the thick accent of a foreign professor or the scatterbrained qualities of the more extravagant PhD's. Other times it's just the severe lack of teaching ability.

13. You wouldn't change your major for any other

Our major can be one of the hardest thing in our lives, but it's also the most amazing. It drives us to do and be the best we can possibly be, while teaching us the wonders of the world around us. That is something I wouldn't trade for the world.