Media And Men: How We Can Change Their View of Women

44

When it comes to the objectification of women in today's society, men and women share the blame.
While there is a strong feminist movement in our country, the issue of women being viewed as objects continues to increase.

There is nothing that disgusts me more than seeing the objectification of women in today’s society.  Don’t get me wrong, I understand the whole “sex sells” idea. I’m in an advertising/public relations class this semester.  I just don’t agree with the image the media sends about women.  
Although there has been a strong feminist movement in our country, why does the objectification of women only seemed to increase when we have so many capable, independent women fighting for equal rights? This is where I believe we, as women, have gone wrong. 
Here’s what women need to understand: men are not wired the way we are. They do not have the same thought processes, feelings, experiences; they are completely different. One of the main differences is that men are visual.  Sure, women fall into some traps, visually, but the affect on men is on an entirely different level.  
The common misconception is that men should be able to control this. Why should we have to change the way we dress and act for a guy? Because he is different. This does not make him a Neanderthal or a jerk. It’s simply the way they are and it’s a good thing. However, we need to be aware and sensitive to this if we are ever going to change the perception of women. 
Somewhere along the lines we, women, got the idea that we should be able to be who we want, do we what we want and wear what we want. This is awesome! I’m so glad we live in an age where the opportunities that we have as women are limitless. Our accomplishments are inspiring and I hope we continue to work towards equality. However, we still need to be aware of how men process things. I understand that you have done thousands of squats and you want to show that off, but exposing yourself and dressing in a way that is simply to show off your body and get attention is not helping our battle.  If you dress yourself as an object, as something for men to only visually and, possibly, physically enjoy without any thought of you as a human being with emotions, thoughts, and dreams, you will be treated as an object.  
Maybe that sounds harsh or rude, and someone will probably disagree with me, but I’m willing to take that risk. You are worth so much more than just being some guy’s fantasy. A common rule of thumb is if you’re showing more on one half of your body, then you need to cover up the other.  So if your skirt is a little short, keep the neckline high and vice versa.  I’m not saying we should all cover ourselves from head to toe in turtle necks and jeans, I’m just suggesting that if we ever want to be viewed as more than just objects for men, we first need to change how we present ourselves.  
Do you present yourself as an object or do you imply that you are an able, powerful and successful woman? We need to reevaluate how we portray ourselves, because what we show, or don’t show, is going to be the deciding factor. That being said, it’s safe to say that both genders have responsibility in this department.  
We cannot be responsible for a man’s preconceived notions or how a commercial is produced. We can, however, be responsible for ourselves. Dressing in a way that is respectful is not bowing to or changing for men, it's something we should do for ourselves because we know that we are so much more than a pretty face with a nice body. Try it out sometime and I guarantee that, while you might not get as much attention, you will get a higher quality of attention. And let's stop pointing fingers at the guys. We’re to blame, too.