The Top Five Country Singers Of Today | The Odyssey Online

The Top Five Country Singers Of Today

Here Are the Best Singers and Singers in Country Music Right Now.

318
The Top Five Country Singers Of Today

George Jones once asked, "who's gonna fill their shoes?" He was of course talking about the shoes of Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and all the other good ol' boys. I think Vince Gill said it best when he said, "I don't believe they makes those shoes anymore." at George Jones' funeral. Country radio today itself is proof that Gill was right, there simply isn't anyone capable of filling those shoes. But luckily for us, there's some damn good singers out right now doing their best to fill those shoes. Here's a little bit of a spoiler, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia didn't make the cut.

5. Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves is a spectacular talent from the state of Texas. She has a voice that not many singers in any industry can compare to, and her unique style and lyrics have even rubbed some people the wrong way (Follow Your Arrow). She's a favorite of the legendary Willie Nelson, and their new song "Are You Sure" is a barroom lullaby. The song is reminiscent of Willie's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."Her voice blends beautifully with Willie's voice and classic style of playing the guitar. I'm excited to see how her already impressive career progresses.

Look around you, look down the bar from you, at the faces that you see. Are you sure, this is where you want to be? -"Are You Sure"

4. Old Crow Medicine Show

This is an interesting entry on the list. The Old Crow Medicine Show hails from the great Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. Their bluegrass sound sets them apart from the other artists on this list. They are probably most famous for the hit song "Wagon Wheel". They have tons of other great songs you just have to stomp your boots to when you hear 'em. "Carry Me Back to Virginia," "Sweet Amarillo" and "Genevieve" are songs that I'll be singing along to for years to come.

Genevieve, Creole Queen, with your love like fire and your heart like a guillotine. You can't sell the heart you stole. -"Genevieve"

3. Chris Stapleton

After his big night at the CMA's, Stapleton might be the most recognizable name on this list. His cover of George Jones' "Tennessee Whiskey" is a beautiful tribute to Jones. Stapleton is also one of the best songwriters in country music. Look at the songs he's written in his career, chances are you've been listening to his lyrics for years without even knowing it. Stapleton is also one of the best guitarists on this list. His ability to play so many different styles on the guitar is evidence of his pure talent.

Daddy doesn't pray anymore, I guess he's through with talkin' to the Lord. -"Daddy Doesn't Pray Anymore"

2. Sturgill Simpson

Sturgill Simpson (right) has drawn heavy comparisons to Waylon Jennings whether he likes it or not. It's fair to say that he occasionally does sound like Waylon. But Simpson sure has a sound that's all his own. There isn't a more heartbreaking song out right now than "Panbowl". Simpson has a haunting voice with a great range. He's definitely the best singer on this list. He has a knack for sounding great whether he's on stage or in the studio, which is definitely an underrated quality these days. His second album, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music enjoyed great critical and commercial success. I still think it was by far the best country album of 2014.

Uncle Everett was the coolest, never had a word to say. When he died's the only time I ever seen Papaw cry.-"Panbowl"

1. Jamey Johnson

Jamey Johnson has been around for quite a while, but his name barely comes up. He's been rolling out the records for years and enjoys a small, loving fan base. Some of his best work is covering songs by older artists. "For the Good Times," "Dreaming My Dreams," and "Set 'Em Up Joe" are some of his best covers. He's also a great songwriter himself, with songs like "Macon," "High Cost of Living" and "The Last Cowboy," he's known for sounding a lot like the old outlaws from the days of Willie and Waylon.

I said momma don't you worry, I'm gettin' by just fine out on the road. -"Stars in Alabama"