The Artists Behind 'Alzheimer’s Stories' - The Odyssey Online

The Artists Behind 'Alzheimer’s Stories'

“Love and music are the last things to go. Sing anything.”

165
http://www.dementiatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/alzheimers-paper.jpg

Alzheimer’s disease affects one out of every 85 people. However, what is more extraordinary than numbers, are the people and their stories.

Robert Cohen, a local Montclair resident and composer, teamed up with Herschel Garfein, a Grammy award-winning composer and librettist. These men brought real stories to life in their extraordinary musical work, "Alzheimer’s Stories." The Montclair State University Chorale will perform this powerful work on December 5 & 6 in the Kasser Theater at Montclair State University.

Robert Cohen: The Composer

I asked Dr. Cohen, “How does it feel to know that you are changing people’s lives?”

He responded, “That’s…the greatest compliment I could get.”

He then gathered two large scrolls and unraveled the most breathtaking black and white photographs. One was a woman in an old fashioned dress; the other was a man in uniform.

“'Alzheimer’s Stories' was commissioned by someone anonymously. These are photographs of his parents, both of which had died from Alzheimer’s disease. What I tell people is this, thisis what the piece is about. It’s about the individual people.”

Dr. Cohen then spoke of a touching experience he encountered after a previous performance of "Alzheimer’s Stories."

“When the concert was over this guy came running at me. He was massive, 6 feet 4 inches, he looked like a linebacker. He came at me quickly and threw his arms around me. The tears were running down his face, he said, ‘I can't tell you how…how important this was to me. My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and I didn’t know I could deal with it until now.’ I think that was the greatest moment in my compositional life.”

It is Dr. Cohen's hope that through his music, many others will be able to find healing.

Herschel Garfein: The Librettist

Herschel Garfein arranged the lyrics for "Alzheimer’s Stories."

“I foresaw that anything I made up would be presumptuous and false. That quickly led me to the idea of setting up a blog in which members of The Susquehanna Valley Chorale would be able to share their experiences of Alzheimer's disease. Without those accounts, there would never have been a piece.”

"Alzheimer’s Stories" consists of 18 true stories. The lyrics flow naturally because they are composed of authentic accounts. “One of the most important things to me in everything I write is that the sung words sound natural. They have to sound like somebody, somewhere, would actually say them. I'm always struck by the inadvertently poetic moments when people express themselves beautifully and with emotional depth without trying.”

In my opinion, one of the most impactful lyrics in "Alzheimer's Stories" are, "Keep faith they sense what they cannot show. Love and music are the last things to go. Sing anything." This text is beautifully set and really hits home. This line is in the third movement titled "For the Caretakers." It is quite difficult for me to get through this movement without tearing up. As it turns out, Mr. Garfein felt quite similarly.

"One of the accounts submitted to the blog hit me very hard. It was the story of the woman who always sang old songs to her father in the nursing home until the day she ran out of ideas and her father turned to her and said, "Sing anything." My job as the writer was just to recognize the perfection of that, and then to create in the rest of the stanza something that would get us to that perfect phrase."

Heather Buchanan: The Conductor

Dr. Buchanan is a world-renowned conductor of the Montclair State University Chorale. “At this point the most rewarding aspect of working on 'Alzheimer’s Stories' would be the students' response to the music. The energy in Chorale this semester has been wonderful. The subject matter has given us all a focus beyond the music itself and I think that has been inspiring for me from the podium for sure.”

Dr. Buchanan often speaks about how important "composers with a pulse" are to the world.

“I really believe that living composers need our support because they are our “modern prophets” and through their music we find a way to define our time and place in history, and quite possibly change it!”

It is incredible to think this way. By partaking in this fantastic and current piece, we are contributing to music history. I questioned Dr. Buchanan on a few of her favorite moments within "Alzheimer's Stories."

“The A cappella chorale 'Ich hab mich verloren' is one of the very special moments because of the text and the beautiful writing. Another special moment is the use of that text again at measure 148 with the tenors singing the gorgeous lyrical line that lasts for eight measures (all of letter J). And a third moment that is very compelling is in Part III, letter B (measures 24 – 34) when the women sing 'find those you love in the dark and light.' There is an intensity in the sound that almost brings me to tears when the women are singing it with fervor.”

There are elements in "Alzheimer's Stories," which distinguish it from many other pieces.

“The subject matter makes this piece extraordinary. The interesting use of theatrical elements with classical form and the quirky chamber orchestration – it’s completely unique and it really works.”

Emily Schladebeck: Montclair State University Chorale Member

As Dr. Cohen told me, “Almost everyone either is, or knows someone who has been affected by Alzheimer’s disease.“ This is no exception for the singers in the Chorale- more specifically Emily.

“My name is Emily Schladebeck and I am a sophomore in the Vocal Music Education program at Montclair State University. When I was informed that we were performing this piece, I knew it was going to be a little difficult for me, for my father suffered with Early-Onset Alzheimer’s disease.

While we were celebrating my dad's birthday with cake, I remember my dad being very agitated, and asking series of questions out of confusion. Questions like, “Why are we eating cake?” or “Whose birthday is it?” and the most painful question of all, “Who are you people?”

Later that day, my older sister Jessica said, “Dad, I’m in Oliver Twist, I am in the dancing ensemble.” After she said that, my dad looked up and started to sing and conduct the overture from Oliver Twist. It was truly remarkable because we thought that his memory was completely gone, but at that moment, we had hope.

Unfortunately, that was one of the last times that I saw my father, for he died about one year later. It was the hardest time in my life, because I was a 13-year-old girl, and my dad was gone.

My sweet 16 birthday party was a fundraiser for Alzheimer’s disease. I asked my family and friends to wear purple to my party, and in lieu of any gifts, I asked them to donate money to the Alzheimer’s Association. The result of my party raised about $5,000 dollars to the Alzheimer’s Association to further their research.

I am thankful for Robert Cohen for writing this beautiful piece, to help raise awareness about this disease. It is a very intelligent score, with very accurate text. I definitely felt a strong connection with my dad during rehearsals.

I want to live in a world where no one else has to suffer the way my dad did.”

The Accompaniment

Accompanying the Montclair State University Chorale will be the extremely talented soloists Adriana Zabala (Mezzo-Soprano), and Keith Phares (Baritone.) These solo lines sparkle, and give "Alzheimer’s Stories" a multitude of character.

In addition, a 14-piece chamber orchestra of professional instrumentalists will attribute a unique mix of sounds to this breathtaking work.

The Performance

"Alzheimer’s Stories" will be performed at Montclair State University in Kasser Theater on December 5& 6 as a part of the Crawford Concert. The performance on the 5 will begin at 1 p.m. and serve as an open dress rehearsal. The performance on the 6 will be a concert performance beginning at 3 p.m. Tickets are free.

This brilliant piece is guaranteed to move and inspire you.

“Love and music are the last things to go. Sing Anything.”