Saving Money For College Students

Saving Money For College Students

33
Saving Money For College Students
Hubpages.com

College students understand what it means to be broke. Most of us are living paycheck to paycheck and begging our parents to put ten bucks in our accounts. Our diets consist of ramen noodles and easy mac. We have to take out a small loan just to put gas in our cars. As a fellow struggling college student, here are five ways to make every penny count.

1. Make a grocery list and stick to it.

Young people often don’t know how to make grocery lists. Plan out meals, snacks, and drinks, and try to make them somewhat healthy. You can only live off of chips and cookies for so long.

2. Learn how to say no.

You can’t go out every time your friends ask you to or you will go broke. As good as a sushi date with your sorority sister sounds, your bank account may tell you no. Budget your money and plan out how much you have to spend on extras.

3. Don't spend money on unnecessary things.

You can “treat yoself” every once in a while, but stopping at starbucks every day after class is a surefire way to see your bank account drop into the negatives. Coffee from your Keurig has the same effect as coffee in a red holiday cup.

4. When you do go out, eat cheap.

Drinking water when you go out to eat can save you at least $2. And that’s how much a McChicken and a small fry costs at McDonald’s. Dollar menus are your bff in college. (PS, Wendy’s has a super awesome dollar menu and four for four deal.)

5. Take advantage of your student ID

That little card with your picture on it isn’t just to swipe in to your dorm. Many places offer student discounts with your ID. Ubees in Memphis, Panda Express, Subway, and Chick-fil-a do for sure. Lots of clothing places offer 10% off with your ID as well.

Saving money is difficult, but not impossible. Spending money frivolously is not an option for college students. By taking these tips into consideration, you’ll be able to make your money last longer than two days (maybe).