Baltimore-Born Band 'Limelicks' Is Blowing Speakers, Paint Tubes, and Minds

Lick a lime for art, punk, and grime, an exclusive interview with the artists of Limelicks.

55
Avery Storms

Locally grown band Limelicks is blowing both speakers and minds with their brand new gleefully punk music, and we should all be excited about what they have coming! Limelicks is a local up and coming punk rock/art rock/grunge band made up entirely of fresh, young student-artists from Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, MD. As far as Limelicks' sound goes, think FIDLAR but less teenage dirt bag and more citrus punch. These young visionaries are doing some pretty innovative stuff with sound as well as their own visual art.

(Limelicks jamming (top), and some visual art made by Limelicks' bassist, Avery (bottom))

With Avery Storms on bass, Jake Snell on drums, and Jameson Hock on guitar and vocals, Limelicks is preparing to unleash some sure-fire creative genius to the music scene very soon and we've got the scoop on what's to come in the band's future and with the sound of their upcoming debut album!

Bassist Avery Storms (also known for his involvement with the Azalea Project) said of the band, "Well, we're a bit grungy and noise rock-y. Gleefully punk is a phrase that I've been associating with the band recently, haha. The defining concept of the band was that our sounds make you make those faces that you make when you lick a lime.

The Odyssey: So what's the crossover (if any) between being a visual artist and a musician for you?

Avery Storms: Oh man, for me personally I cross music and visual art constantly, I trade them off really frequently when I'm working stuff. I think that the two gain so much momentum when they inform one another. I do stuff in some of my studio classes where I perform music that I write about the subject in costumes I construct or interact with projections I make while I play the song. Also Jameson's been making paintings where he plays guitar with a brush on it and creates paint strokes as he plays, and Jake has been trying for a while to make weird molds or paintings that dry on top of really loud speakers while they're pumping some sweet tunes. We're always experimenting with weird stuff!

The Odyssey: So what is the creative process like for you guys then? It sounds like you're doing a lot more than most in terms of creativity!

Avery: Both Jameson and I write tons of music on the side of our busy day lives, and sometimes I realize that a song I've written is totally a lime lick, and they'll learn the parts and we'll play it, but for the most part that's not how we want to create our songs, and I do think that it's important for a band to grow as a unit and write music in a more collaborative way.

The Odyssey: So what type of stuff have you guys been putting out so far? And when can we expect more?

Avery: We've been playing a bunch of covers recently just for the sake of having a set list so that we can play shows in the area soon. Jake and I wrote a bunch of music that we performed last year, and maybe we'll bring those songs out and dust 'em off later. But right now we're getting a recording space to record a jingle that we wrote for a jean company that I've been working with this year. There's a bunch of videos of us playing in a little Baltimore/MICA scene house show that they plan to use to advertise their clothes, and we've been trying to get weird little gigs and collaborative shows under our belt in the mean time. And honestly my biggest hope is that soon we'll have the space and resources to practice as much as we've been wanting to and start working on our first studio quality album.

The Odyssey: So what local venues should Baltimore punk-heads be looking out for? Where can we plan to get our limes licked? (Sorry)

Avery: I've been talking to people at the Annex and Copycat about maybe playing shows soon because why not, and our friends from SIO want to shoot us playing random surprise shows in stores and things."

The Odyssey: So what should everyone be on the lookout for in the future of Limelicks?

Guitarist Jameson Hock: I mean, I want to get big after we release our music but more importantly, I want to be our genuine selves out there, I want to get a large range of different sounds going, use a lot of different genres as influence and create something new with it. I want our music to resonate with people, to linger and drive a feeling; hitting that sound that will get people to cringe from that shiver between their shoulder blades. I want to give people that face like you've just taken a tequila shot and a lime, that's a lime lick!

Click below to see the house party show that Limelicks played as part of an Jean commercial here:

Limelicks' Jean Commercial Music Video

Also check out the Radio WICV page to hear an exclusive track called "Floes" from Avery Storms of Limelicks under his solo alias, Sriracha Fibonacci, and more from similar local bands!

For more information and further updates on Limelicks, check out the Limelicks Facebook page, as well as the band members' personal pages by clicking here:

Limelicks (band page), Avery Storms (bass), Jake Snell (drums), and Jameson Hock (guitar)