Why I'm Okay With One Direction's Hiatus

I already saw them in concert; I'm good.

27

Regardless of which of the Five Stages of Grief you currently find yourself in, I'm sure by now you've heard the big news: One Direction is taking a "break." After five years of taking the world by storm, the British boys have agreed to go their separate ways and pursue independent projects. Because Zayn Malik leaving the group and Louis Tomlinson becoming a father wasn't enough heartbreak. Of course they decide to break up.

When I fell for One Direction, I fell hard. I know all of the songs, I own all of the concert DVDs, and I can literally tell the boys apart by the way they sing, speak, and breathe. I used to have a One Direction tumblr account with over 1,500 followers. Don't get me started on my childhood room; all you need to know is that my mom took my 1D posters down (against my will) when I left for college. I don't have any pictures of said childhood room, but if I did it would look very similar to this:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that One Direction holds a special place in my heart and life. Which is why I surprised the world and myself when I realized and declared that I was completely okay with One Direction taking a break. No joke. I am fine with One Direction going on hiatus. I'd even go as far as saying that I am happy about it. *Cue the angry mobs of fangirls banging down my door.*

Here's the thing. Many of us have never been part of an internationally successful boy band that travels the world singing in sold-out stadiums, but I believe that as college students, we can all identify with being away from home. I imagine that touring is a lot like going to college in the sense that you're never home, and when you are, it's never for long. These guys haven't spent a significant amount of time at home with their families in five years and I think they really need and deserve that.

Not only are they away from home, but they're also exhausted! They are performing a two-and-a-half hour show multiple times a week that is not only physically, but also vocally draining! When they're not performing, they're publicizing their tour. When they're not promoting their tour, they're working on their next album. To give you a sense of their workload, please understand that they built a recording studio within their tour bus. They literally record their albums while they drive. I think many fans fail to understand that these boys are human and they need a break from all the constant working.

Also important to consider: these guys started pretty young. The youngest member, Harry, was only 16 when the group formed. This nonstop adventure known as their lives, while I'm sure amazing, may have prevented them from so many experiences that they wanted to have (mainly, college). They deserve time and space to pursue all the things they previously couldn't.

Speaking of new experiences, Louis Tomlinson...a father?! Cutest thing in the world, except for the part where I can't stop crying due to a broken heart. Seriously though, Louis deserves to spend time with his army of siblings and his child! He's going to be a great father, but he can't do that if he's traveling the world!

Listen, I'll be sad. Of course I'll be sad. One Direction has been on the top of the list of my favorite things for the past five years, but you know what? I'll get over it. They are moving on so we all have to do so, too. It's been done before, no? Backstreet Boy fans, *NSYNC fans, Jonas Brothers fans, they all survived. We will, too.

As of now, the boys are promising that this break is temporary and that they will be back. Call me an optimist or delusional, but I believe that. Why? Because Ross and Rachel were on a break, but she got off the plane, right?

One Direction is taking a break now, but I choose to believe that when they get back together, Zayn will be a part of that reunion. Do not spoil this for me.