Say No To Declawing!

Say No To Declawing!

An explanation into the declawing process and helpful alternatives!

141
Say No To Declawing!

Let me start by saying that a lot of people do not know these facts. They believe that declawing is a simple procedure that's just taking away their cat's nails and nothing else. Something as simple as having your fingernails trimmed. Many believe it's the solution to unwanted scratching. They don't realize that many declawed cats are more likely to go outside the litter box and that they no longer have the ability to defend themselves so as a result, they tend to become more aggressive and more likely to bite. They don't realize that there are safer alternatives to declawing a cat.

Most people also don't realize that declawing is an American thing. Declawing is illegal in many countries and is actually deemed "inhumane" in England.

The Process

Many believe that declawing a cat is the same thing as a human having their fingernails trimmed. The term itself implies that it's merely just the removal of the claws. That is incorrect. In humans, the nail grows from the skin. In animals that hunt prey, like cats, the nail grows from the bone. To get rid of the nail, which is what declawing is, is to amputate the last bone. Yes, you read that right. You have to amputate the last bone on each toe in TEN separate surgeries. You want to know the equivalent? It's like cutting off each of your fingers at each knuckle. Painful, right?

Along with chopping off the last bone in each toe, the nerves, ligaments and tendons are also severed resulting in crippling of normal function and movement of the paw.

How a vet actually does it varies from procedure to procedure.

The standard method of declawing is using a scalpel or clippers to amputate the bone. It's then closed up with surgical glue or stitches and bandaged up. There's also laser surgery, another method of declawing, where a beam of light cuts through tissue by heating it and vaporizing it. It's not any better than the standard - the amputation still happens and it still carries the same risks. Tendonectomy is where the tendons in each toe is severed. The cat gets to keep it claws but can no longer control them. Usually, declawing is required later on due to complications of the tendonectomy.

The Aftermath

Some may seem to be just fine. But, be aware that their instincts know when they are at risk or in a weakened position and may instinctively attempt to hide their distress.

The feline's claws are an important component to the design of the cat's body to give it grace, agility, and balance. After being declawed, cats have to relearn how to walk due to their impaired balanced. Even then, it changes the way their paw meets the ground and can be similar to the pain of wearing an uncomfortable pair of shoes.

During the recovery process, many use shredded newspaper as a substitute to litter - a nice gesture to prevent their recently declawed paws from being irritated, right? They still have pain when scratching. It's unfamiliar to them. Due to the pain and unfamiliarity, they may just stop using the litter box completely.

Sometimes people who declaw their cats justify it by saying that it's safer for babies, young children, or the elderly, as it will protect their health. Infectious disease researchers don't recommend declawing since the risk from scratches is less than those from bites, cat litter, or fleas carried by cats. Due to not having their claws, cats may resort to other methods of defense. Cats can become biters and much more aggressive. Some people may even let their declawed cats outside where they can become injured by other animals.

Other negative effects include but are not limited to pain in the paw, back pain, nerve damage, bone spur, regrowth of an improperly removed claws, infection, and the death of tissue.

While it's not recognized by the medical community as a side effect, veterinarians have heard from their patients that their cats' personality has changed after declawing.

Well... why do people do it, then?

People declaw their cats when they don't know all the facts. They might solely rely on information from one person. That's why it's very important to research ANY medical/cosmetic procedure you or a pet will go through! Don't only listen to the word of your vet. Read up and do your personal outside research, as well.

Declawing should only be reserved for rare cases where it is medically needed, such as the removal of a cancerous tumor in the nail bed.

Alternatives

Keep in mind that cats scratch. It's a natural behavior to them. They scratch to exercise, to keep their nails in good condition and to mark territory.

Cats start to scratch around eight weeks old. That's prime time to begin to train your cat to use scratch posts and allow nail trims.

If you have welcomed your feline friend into your family later on in their life or they have recently discovered the couch is a nice scratching post, it just takes some time and patience to train them, if they aren't already.

Figure out where their favorite places are to scratch. Cover the off-limit spots with something unappealing to cats - double-sided tape, aluminum foil, sandpaper or a plastic carpet runner with the sticky side up. Remember that this will not be an overnight thing since you need to wait until your cat is using the scratching posts consistently.

Get some fun scratching posts for your furry friend and put them in a favorable place! Get some catnip to make the post seem even more attractive. Make sure to praise your cat when they are scratching an acceptable object.

If your cat has temptations to start scratching the sofa again, be sure to scold them, however, only if caught in the act. Don't yell or hit your cat as punishment; just make a loud noise and move them to the proper scratching area.

Another alternative are nail caps, which can be glued painlessly to their nails to prevent damage.

Resources

Soft Paws - nail caps and further research on them

Paw Project - a nonprofit organization that educates the public on why declawing is inhumane

Sticky Paws - help prevent cats from scratching