Artist Recreates Classic Disney Characters in Human Form

Have you ever wondered what your favorite Disney animals would look like as humans?

220
Disney

Some of the most iconic characters from Disney's animated films are not the princesses or villains, but the animals. Where would we be without Phillippe, Belle's horse from "Beauty and the Beast," or Paschal, Rapunzel's chameleon sidekick? Even more important are the animals from "The Lion King," like Simba or Nala, since they are a part of an animated film centered entirely on animals. Many of Disney's iconic animals are incredibly important and each have some unique characteristics. With that being said, haven't you ever wondered what they would look like as humans?

One artist, Alaina Bastian, has decided to take these classic Disney animals and recreate them in human form using the unique characteristics. It's a very interesting project that she is working on as a part of a series, Humanized. So far, she has done "Lady and the Tramp," "The Aristocats," "Oliver and Company," "The Jungle Book," "Bolt," "Tarzan" and four Disney horses from various films.

In a post Bastian wrote for boredpanda, she said, "I decided to draw them in the styles of their movies, and keep consistent shape language and features to interpret the character in a more thorough and believable way."

This definitely shows through all of her work since many of the characters retain their original animation style; what has changed is that they are now humans. It's fascinating to think about it in our heads, but even more fascinating to see it actually play out in Bastian's art.

Personally, one of my favorite Disney movies is "The Aristocats." I really like her interpretation of Duchess as well as O'Malley. According to Bastian, "I think this one was harder, because O’Malley’s such a bulky character, in face and build, so he makes kind of a funny looking human. And maintaining the 1900-1910s look was hard to do for Duchess because her hair would look much better as a 20s girl." Even so, these two Disney characters look great in their human forms.

Another of my favorites is her piece with Simba and Nala. I love "The Lion King" and after working in Africa at Disney's Animal Kingdom, I have a deeper appreciation for it and its characters. What I like about this one is the colors she uses as well as the detail. It genuinely looks as if Simba and Nala were transformed into humans. Bastian commented about the piece saying, "I try to keep character consistency with facial features and colors (with a bit of inspirational flair from the musical)."

According to Buzzfeed, Bastian is planning to continue the project and already has plans for Louis from "The Princess and the Frog," Mickey Mouse and Bambi. You can see the rest of the series, and more of her work, on her DeviantArt page.