Thoughts Of A Retired Cheerleader

Thoughts Of A Retired Cheerleader

620
Thoughts Of A Retired Cheerleader

I started doing tumbling privates by the age of six, and I worked my way up to being on an all-star cheerleading team by the age of eight.

I enjoyed every minute of being on a competitiveĀ cheerleading team. I loved the exaggerated hair and makeup, the intensity of practices, and having another group of friends that didnā€™t go to my school. Now that I am older, and I have officially declared myself retired, I oftenĀ think back on my days as a cheerleader. A typical weekend at a cheerleading competition was filled with early mornings and late nights, and it went a little like this:

We always arrived at the hotel the night before the competition. This time was used to practice before we competed in front of the judges the next day. We also spent this time sewing in our hairpieces on the top of our heads andĀ slicked back with hair spray.Ā 

Wake up call was always very early. Breakfast typically consisted of eating a muffin while our makeup was being done. Our makeup was always very extreme and over the top, with pounds of glitter, eye liner, and fake eye lashes. Putting on our uniforms was always a chore. Getting them over our hair was very difficult. The uniforms were very itchy and uncomfortable when I was younger, but as I started to get older and our uniforms changed they became easier to work with.Ā 

After we finished getting ready in our hotels rooms, we would always run to meet with the team. Our coaches were very strict; being late was not an option. They would have us go through our routine and we would secretly do our stunts throughout the hotel because it was forbidden. Many teams walked through the hotel to check out the competition, therefore our coaches wanted us to show off our skills by throwing our standing back tucks on concrete. This was done at every competition. If you didnā€™t land your tumbling, you can expect the coaches to be upset.Ā 

The practice mat can be horrifying, to say the least. All of the teams you are competing against are doing their routines around you. We were instructed not to look at other teams while they practiced. We held our heads high and we acted like their routine didnā€™t matter to us, when in reality our stomachs were dropping. If we did well on the practice mat we, typically, did just as well on the stage, but when our routine went downhill right before stepping in front of the judges, it caused many girls to be stressed out and nervous.Ā 

Changing the routine right before going on stage was expected. After looking at the other teams, the coaches would always change our jump or tumbling sequence. Many of us worried that we would forget about the change in the middle of the routine. If this actually were to happen, we would be done for.Ā 

As we waited in line for our turn to step on stage to show the judges what we have been practicing for months, our stomachs wouldĀ turn. The time waiting in line was only about 10 minutes, yet it felt like an eternity. We are filled with butterflies, going over the routine in our heads to make sure we donā€™t miss a step. We take the stage waving to the audience, smiling from ear to ear. The music starts and our hearts drop. The minute we hit that routine, with no mistakes, is the feeling of a lifetime. It is the feeling of knowing that our hard work has paid off and that practice truly does make perfect.Ā 

That night we practice even more then we did that morning, to prepare for the next day, where we repeat this vicious cycle. Ā Ā 

When the awards ceremony rolls around we are relieved because we are finished competing for the weekend. It was now up to the judges. Every team on the mat is hoping for that overall title.

Competition weekends were always very tiring for everyone. The minute I got home from being out of town I was anxious to get the makeup off my face and the fake hair off my head. However, the lipstick always stained my lips and I was always questioned about itĀ at school the next day. Ā  Ā Ā 

Now that I am older and officially retired, I think back on these weekends because they made up my childhood years. I have realized the impact that competitive cheerleading has made on my life. Ā  Ā Ā 

Through my time as a cheerleader, I learned important life lessons that I couldnā€™t have learned anywhere else. It taught me that practicing is essential, landing a tumbling sequence always took a lot of time and perseverance before it was perfect. Confidence is key when it comes to competing in front of the judges. If you werenā€™t confident then you wouldnā€™t hit the routine. I also learned to keep a positive attitude and to be tough when it came to getting hurt. Although many say that cheerleading is not a sport, I had my fair share of sprained ankles and broken arms.

Though cheerleading is filled with many ups and downs, I wouldnā€™t change my experience for the world. I miss my years as a competitive cheerleader, more than anything. I can only hope that when I have children, that they find something that they love and become passionate about, like I felt about cheerleading.