Disabilities In Hollywood: Disabilities Are Not A metaphor

Is cripface the new blackface in Hollywood?

102

Kylie Jenner recently covered Interview magazine and apparently wheelchairs have now become a fashion statement.

The internet backlash was quick and fierce.

The message that the magazine is spreading is bigger than just one wheelchair. Where is the overall diversity in Hollywood when it comes to visible and non-visible disabilities?

You can probably name multiple characters in both film and TV that have a disability and most likely a large portion of their story line is dedicated to the struggles of living life when you're not "normal." But how many actors and actresses do you know that have visible disabilities or that have identified as disabled? Now think even harder -- do their characters have complex stories or are they simply a token?

Some people have even compared using able bodied actors as disabled characters to the use of blackface. The term "cripface" has been coined to describe characters with disabilities that are played by able-bodied actors.

The argument against using disabled actors is they would need special accommodation, but Hollywood has no problem accommodating others with special needs. Children, for example, are only allowed to be on set certain hours and need to take school breaks, but no casting director is going to cast an adult to play a child and say, "Well, it was just too difficult."

Hollywood doesn't have a problem with showing disabilities. It has a judgment problem that marginalizes actors that identify as disabled.

Disabilities are something that can easily be put on, like a second skin. They are as simple as sitting in a wheelchair and suddenly you can identify with someone that is unable to walk.

Although it is easy to jump into being a disabled character, actors that have disabilities are not able to play traditionally non-disabled characters. Meaning that unless a character is explicitly disabled the role is not fit for someone with a disability.

If they can't play themselves and they can't take on traditional roles where is there place in Hollywood?

The advocacy group Alliance for Inclusion in the Arts roughly 2200 actors registered with a well known casting service identify as disabled, yet we don't see them on the screen. According to Howard Sherman, director of the Alliance, "Playing disability is a considered a technicalskill for an actor, and casting directors and producers prefer to seek non-disabled actors with long track records."

The audience likes to know that at the end of the day, it was all an act. We can breathe a sigh of relief when Eddie Redmayne walks onto the stage to accept his Oscar or when Julianne Moore can remember who to thank in her acceptance speech.

We can go to bed and keep pretending that that could never happen to us or someone we love. If it does, someone can just call cut, and it will all be over.

Disabilities are not a mask that can be taken on or off they are constant. They are something that is a part of you, but they do not define your character and they should not define characters in Hollywood.