A Sit-Down with MLB Fan Cave Member and Hoosier Grad, Dan Frankel

Hoosier MLB Daddy? Dan Frankel is.

121
  • Name: Dan Frankel
  • Hometown: Chappaaqua, NY 
  • College: IU 
  • Graduated: 2013 
  • Fraternity: Kappa Sigma
  • IU Major: Sports Communication- Broadcast 
  • IU Minor: Telecommunications 
  • Reason for attending IU: Wanted a Big Ten school with great sports, academics and a strong Greek system 
  • Favorite Fan Cave Guest: Yasiel Puig 
  • Relationship with Fat Joe: Close

Odyssey: Hey Dan, thanks for being with us today!      
Dan Frankel: No problem. I can always make time for another kid from IU.

O: Now there are some people who know of MLB Fan Cave, but there are also some that think that’s just the nickname for where Cubs fans sleep. Can you tell us a little bit about what it is you do at the Cave?     
DF: Yeah, absolutely. We have a great setup here in Manhattan with a giant wall of 15, 46-inch flat screen TVs. I watch every MLB game here, where I spend 10 to 12 hours a day while also doing social media content. It is our job to connect with baseball fans from a more laid-back and fan-oriented angle. We really take advantage of all types of social media to show interesting plays or events from each game every day. For instance if I wasn’t doing this interview, I may catch a great play in one of the games, screenshot it or videotape it, then tweet it or put it on vine for everyone to see. It’s all about finding quirkiness.     

O: Oh wow, that sounds like a great set up you have! Honestly, I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t a little bit jealous.      
DF: That’s the response I usually get. I’m really lucky to get this position. I’m really lucky today actually because we have the Mets social media team visiting to watch some games.     

O: That has to be a pretty neat feature of the job, getting to meet many different types of people. Do you always have visitors hanging around or is this a rare occurrence?     
DF: Yeah, usually. If a player doesn’t swing by - for instance, tomorrow we have Cory Kluber of the Cleveland Indians stopping in - we’ll have someone else, whether it be someone involved in baseball or a celebrity. The Fan Cave is basically a way for the players and other visitors to escape from the mainstream media and hang out with real, passionate fans and be themselves.    

O: So it has to be pretty interesting getting to discover some of these players’ personalities.     
DF: Definitely. But it isn’t just limited to players. We’ll also have concerts, talks and other things like that. We’ve been lucky enough to have Timeflies and Kip Moore stop by as well as a few others. It’s really a fun time.     

O: Sounds like you are really struggling to have fun there…     
DF: (Laughing) Yeah can never find much to do around here.     

O: To change topics a little bit, you were a Kappa Sigma at IU. How was that experience?    
DF: IU and Kappa Sig gave me some of the best times of my life. I loved every second of it and really appreciated the brotherhood I found at Kappa Sig. Honestly it reminds me a little of the Fan Cave because of how close we have gotten. We have people from around the country spending all day, every day of the entire summer watching games together and hanging out, so I have gotten pretty close to all the other “cave dwellers”.     

O: I was about to say, just from the way you talk about interacting with everyone, it seems like you’re just watching a game at your fraternity house, although it seems like there aren’t quite as many people. How many “dwellers” are there per year?     
DF: There are six dwellers total from all around. There’s a Mets fan (myself), a Yankees fan, a Giants fan, a Dodgers guy, Cubs and then White Sox. So we’re all over the map.      

O: So it seems like you’re in a pretty select group?     
DF: Yeah there are about 25,000 applications per year to be in the Cave. Then they cut it down to about 18, where they then take us to Arizona during Spring Training to kind of test us to see how we would do in the regular season. I was lucky enough to make it through the whole process, and now here I am today.     

O: Well now that you're sitting where you are, are you able to look back on how you got there? What made you want to pursue going after this position?     
DF: I’m glad you asked that. During the summers while I was going to IU, I would work in NYC and pass this place all the time, so I definitely knew what it was. My first job out of school I worked for a minor league baseball team in Newark and was in charge of all of their social media. So I would tweet, Facebook, all of that stuff. Oddly enough, Fan Cave recruiters would follow all of these accounts for the minor league teams, and for whatever reason, what I was doing stood out to them. So they reached out to me about applying, I did (I never thought I’d get the job) and one thing led to another and now I’m sitting here watching 15 baseball games a day.      

O: That really is amazing. So now that you are there, you have a bunch of different responsibilities - one of which is appearing on the show “Off the Bat,” a pop culture/sports show on MTV hosted by Fat Joe, Sway, Melanie Iglesias and Chris Distefano. So I have to ask, was it always a dream of yours to work with Fat Joe?     
DF: (Laughing) I love Fat Joe, he’s awesome. The first time I came to the Cave and was able to interact with him. I was shell-shocked. I was so scared to talk to him. Like, what do I have to say to someone like Fat Joe? But now after a few months I can see him or Sway or any of the others and they’re all my buddies. I can just talk to them about whatever; it’s really something special.     

O: I guess that is something you thought you’d never be able to say.     
DF: Absolutely not. But that’s one of the neat things about the Fan Cave. From meeting all of these different types of people, it has given me the confidence to go up and talk to anyone, whether it's Derek Jeter, Barack Obama or anyone. Everyone just wants to be a normal person and have a regular conversation, no matter what their status in the world may be. And I should mention, Fat Joe is not fat anymore. He’s a family man now.     

O: Wait, what? He’s a family man now? And skinny?      
DF: Really! You all should start calling him Lean Joe now. But to me, he’s just Joe.     

O: That may make readers more jealous than you just being a member of the Fan Cave. Anyway, regardless of your relationship with famous rappers, it seems like this is almost a dream job for you. Did you do anything at IU that helped you get to where you are currently?    
DF: Definitely. That’s the most important thing you can do. I always enjoyed sports and commentating on them, and people told me I have the voice and face for radio. So I started working at the IU student radio program to get involved in that field in some way. I spent all four years learning how radio is produced and everything, and I fell in love with it. Having your voice mean something to other people really resonated with me, and I believe that experience helped me get the minor league baseball job, which in turn helped me get this Fan Cave job.    

O: It sounds like that is really the perfect spot for you.     
DF: I completely agree. It seems like a really daunting task to watch 2400 baseball games in a summer, but coming to work everyday to watch sports with your best friends instead of working in a cubicle all day really makes this the best job in the world.     

O: Well I think I speak for everyone here at IU when I say we really are incredibly jealous of you. Thanks for your time, and keep making the Hoosiers proud!     
DF: Any time. Thank you, and go Mets!