Is There A Rewind Button?

Is There A Rewind Button?

4
Is There A Rewind Button?

I can’t believe my freshman year of college is over. I feel like I just moved in to my humble abode, or so called dorm. In this short amount of time I learned numerous things about myself. Some are petty, like how much I miss and depend upon my dishwasher at home. 

But some of these lessons are eye-openers, and I have freshman year to thank for that. 

1. YOLO.

I know this phrase may be going out of style, but I can’t begin to count how many times the thought “you only live once” ran through my head this year. I remember packing for college and hearing all of my family members saying that these next four years would be the best years of my life. It wasn’t until halfway through my first semester that I realized I was in charge of making sure these years lived up to that standard.

I began saying, “So what if I have a test tomorrow? A midnight milkshake run with my friends will bring out so much more laughter than that scantron will tomorrow.” Yeah, you had a long day and you just don’t feel like dressing up or even going to tonight’s social. But how upset will you be when you see your timeline on every source of social media full of cute pictures? Just go, even if it’s for an hour. It just might be the pick-me-up you need. A night with your sisters is something you should never pass up in the first place. So, incoming freshman, say YOLO. If these next three years fly by as fast as this one did, there will be too many memories you could have missed out on. I’ve made a promise to myself that the phrase, “I wish I would have,” will never enter my vocabulary.

2. Get involved.

If you think I’m being cliché and that I’m about to lecture you, well, you’re wrong. Getting involved has been stressed to me over and over. At the time, I was worried about how to even get involved at a university with 23,000 students. Joining Zeta Tau Alpha has given me countless opportunities to network with individuals who will help me in my future career and even now, as an undergraduate student. I’ve learned that becoming a leader in an organization brings hardships, but also instills a strength you never knew you had. Working with people who have different interests than you can give you a new perspective. Once you have proven yourself to be a dependable, fair leader, your organization will look to you as not just a member, but as a friend. 

3. You’re going to need Dad and Mom.

Just go ahead and accept that, now. I definitely consider myself an independent person. I wasn’t upset when I moved four hours away this fall, and I actually thought I wouldn’t call my parents more than two times a week. Boy, was I wrong! There are so many random moments during my day when I think my dad would love to hear the baseball team won today or that my mom is probably dying to know what I made on my chemistry test. It’s not exactly easy on them. Watching someone you spent every day with growing up move out on their own and praying they make the right decisions has got to be stressful. My first few weeks is when I noticed that I didn’t give them enough credit for everything they have done, are doing, and will do for me. If you have just 10 minutes before a boring lecture class, take the time to call them and mention that you appreciate the opportunities they have given you. I promise it makes them proud of the individual you are becoming.     

My freshman year was like the blink of an eye. Although it did end quickly, I will never forget the laughter, tears, and memories fall and spring blessed me with. I only wish I could rewind those special moments when I realized I was having the time of my life.