Exploring College Life In The Bronx | The Odyssey Online

Exploring College Life In The Bronx

A closer look at the opportunities that surround campus.

114
Exploring College Life In The Bronx

Growing up in a suburb outside of Boston, I never experienced living in a city environment. Prior to my freshman year of college, my family and I made yearly visits to New York City, seeing tourist attractions such as Times Square, Broadway, and The Statue of Liberty. However, I knew that Fordham's Rose Hill campus is located in the Bronx, a very unfamiliar place to me at the time. When I told friends and family about my college's location, I was constantly warned about my safety off-campus. After taking the opportunity to explore the area, I soon realized that their interpretations of my college surroundings were inaccurate. During Freshman year, my travels off-campus truly opened my eyes to the culture, diversity, and entertainment within the Bronx.

For incoming freshman who are clueless as to what lies beyond the gates of campus, they will be amazed that the following five places are just a short stroll from their dorm.

1. Walk Along Arthur Avenue

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

Also known as "Little Italy," Arthur Avenue is located right across campus. This street is the ideal place to go for delicious bread, pasta, meat, coffee, and pastries. It also offers several restaurants that serve authentic Italian cuisine (perfect for dinners with friends and family)! Order a cannoli from Palumbo's Bakery; it will be the best one you've ever tasted!

2. Stroll through the New York Botanical Garden

Directly across from campus' main entrance lies 250 acres of land that supports over one million living plants. The beautiful and extensive collections of plants attract visitors from all over the world. The Botanical Garden is the perfect place for Fordham students to take a break from their school work and walk or run along the paths of the exhibits (http://www.nybg.org/about/index.php).

Bonus: The Garden is free for students!

3. Go to the Bronx Zoo

www.theguardian.com

The Bronx Zoo is the largest metropolitan zoo in North America, containing 265 acres of wildlife habitats and attractions. Just a few minutes from campus, students can easily take a trip to see the animals representing about 650 species from around the world. The zoo is another perfect study break getaway, and a great place to walk around with friends.

Double bonus: The zoo is free on Wednesdays!

http://bronxzoo.com/visitor-info/faqs

4. Explore East Fordham Road

http://www.amny.com/real-estate/city-living/bronx/...

Chances are, you have never seen a street as bustling with activity as East Fordham Road. Clothing stores, jewelry stores, hair and nail salons, furniture outlets, fast food restaurants, and a variety of other shops and services can be found on this road. Walk up this road for all your necessities while experiencing a blend of different cultures around you.

5. Take a Bus, Train, or Subway to Manhattan!

http://www.norwoodnews.org/id=14823&story=cb7-purs...

Trying to get to the city for the day? The Bronx could not be a more perfect location to have access to transportation to the city. You can take a bus, train, or subway and be in the city in less than twenty minutes.Luckily for Fordham students, means of transportation are seconds away!

The Bronx is definitely worth exploring-- even if someone's preconceived notions tell you otherwise. Students should take full advantage of the opportunity to discover the Bronx as well as the surrounding New York area.

"New York is my campus, Fordham is my school."