Shoe Showdown: Chacos vs Birkenstocks

Shoe Showdown: Chacos vs Birkenstocks

One made the runway. The other did not.

5108
Shoe Showdown: Chacos vs Birkenstocks
HonestlyWTF

How could one pair of shoes stir up so much drama? Simply put, the Chaco Debate of 2015 has college campuses and Greek communities divided. For every person that wears their tribal-patterned Chacos and matching tan lines as a badge of honor, another scoffs at their overpriced elastic straps and incredible lack of stylish appeal.

In response to the criticism over their choice of footwear, author of PSA: The Chaco Nation Isn't Listening put it this way:

“They're comfortable, they're functional, and they're well worth the money"

The Chaco Nation has joined together to defend their shoes and their lack of not caring. But the fact they chose to respond means they do care. So where does the debate go from here?

People on both sides have attempted to draw comparisons of Chacos to another unsightly shoe style that swept the nation a few years ago: Crocs. I believe however, this is the wrong comparison to make. There is another shoe known for comfort, functionality and arguably, style, that has often been the subject of intense debate in the fashion world.

The Birkenstock.

Birkenstocks are iconic. The original brand traces their roots to 1774 Germany, but they first arrived in the U.S in 1967. They were theit shoe of the flower child and hippie generation. Known for their clunky sandal design, and contoured cork insole that actually molds to you feet, Birkenstocks are recognized worldwide as a symbol of comfort, functionality and cultural influence.

On a runway in Paris back in 2012, the Birkenstock began its fashion comeback. Céline Creative Director Phoebe Philo started the style-comfort revolution when models came down the runway not in stilettos or dainty sandals, but fur-lined Birkenstocks. Fellow creative directors, fashion editors and street style bloggers couldn't say enough about the hottest ugly shoe around. In the following years more and more designers began showing off their collections paired with similar comfort designed sandals inspired by the original Birkenstock “Arizona" style.

Birkenstock began collaborating with more designers and offering patent leather, colored and patterned styles. A quick search on Pinterest and you'll find thousands of photos of trendy outfits complete with tan legs, beach waves and white patent Birkenstocks on their feet.

Birkenstocks are widely applauded for their comfort and functionality. From the streets of Manhattan to the fields of Coachella, young, stylish millennials are embracing comfort and style.

Authentic Birkenstocks retail online from $100 to $120, similarly priced to the beloved Chacos. For those concerned about rainy days trekking across campus, waterproof options are available as well.

Birkenstocks have stood the test of time, often physically and especially culturally. An established brand, iconic for more than 40 years, the consensus is that Birkenstocks are, and will remain a classic piece of footwear. It is hard to predict, but more often than not styles like the Chaco fade, carrying the often-heard sentiment “Why did I ever wear that?"

While Birkenstocks join Converse, Doc Martens and even Louboutins in the ranks of classic footwear, Chacos are at risk of becoming the next Croc or Ugg.

Comfort and style are not competing ideas. As college students, we are swamped between school, work and demanding social schedules. Getting up for that 7:30AM Lab after a late night, walking for miles in the heat across campus, it makes sense many are in favor of functional shoes that put comfort ahead of style.

People are entitled to their opinions. But alternatives to Chacos do exist, and maybe it's about time for some to take those alternatives into consideration. And I'm not talking about Tory Burch or Jack Rodger's sandals.

For all the advantages Chacos-wearers brag about, Birkenstocks offer a solution. Comfortable, functional, long-lasting, and even stylish too with all the colors, patterns, and yes- even the tan lines- that the Chaco Nation desires.

It may be time for the Chaco Nation to evolve and embrace the Birkenstock Generation. Because when it comes to comfort, those in favor of style can have their cake and eat it too.

You can find Chacos and Birkenstocks on Amazon.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.