Brain Food For College Students | The Odyssey Online

Brain Food For College Students

11 food options to help you study better.

272
Brain Food For College Students

Studying is hard enough as it is. Sitting in a library for hours on end, cramming massive amounts of information into your already-saturated brain is probably not anyone's ideal way to spend a day. Unfortunately, studying is a necessary part of college life and, therefore, students will frequently find themselves subjected to late nights binge-drinking Starbucks and consuming more caffeine in one sitting than any normal human should. However, there are more effective and healthier alternatives when you need your exhausted body to keep up with you while you're pulling an all-nighter. Studies have shown that certain foods can improve your critical thinking and memory. Here are some options for brain food you can try to help your brain and your sanity.

1. Water

Did you know that when you become dehydrated, your brain tissue actually shrinks? Additionally, dehydration can affect your cognitive abilities by impairing short-term memory, focus, and decision making according to USA Today.

2. Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate is not only delicious, but it also has powerful antioxidants. It contains natural stimulants like caffeine, which can help you increase your focus and make your tummy happy. You can even have dark-chocolate-covered coffee beans, which offer a burst of caffeine straight to your system.

3. Nuts

Walnuts and almonds are especially good sources of brain food because they are brimming with anti-inflammatory nutrients. Walnuts are a source of alpha lineolic acid, which promotes healthy blood flow and allows more oxygen to travel to your brain.

4. Berries

Health Magazine reports that the latest research from the American Chemical Society has found that blueberries, strawberries, and acai berries help prevent cognitive decline. Berries are also a great source of antioxidants and Vitamin E.

5. Cinnamon

This is one of the healthiest spices on the planet. It's loaded with antioxidants which have anti-inflammatory effects. These effects lower the risk of disease and increase brain function and health.

6. Peppermint

The power of peppermint is stronger than you might think. Its distinct scent, cool and energizing, often causes the same effects as caffeine. Whether you use peppermint oil, drink peppermint tea, or simply chew on a peppermint candy, all of these uses can be great brain food.

7. Seeds

Most seeds, but particularly pumpkin and sunflower seeds, are fabulous sources of Vitamin E. In fact, one ounce of sunflower seeds contains 30 percent of your recommended daily intake of this vitamin. Sprinkle them on top of your salad or eat them straight out of the bag to boost your brain function.

8. Fish

Brain boosts can be caused by great protein sources, such as fish that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Healthy fats and oils found in fish are linked to higher brain power.

9. Avocados

Avocados are delicious, they go with just about anything, and they are full of monounsaturated fats that provide great vascular health and blood flow. Although some people see the word "fats" and go running the other way, these are the fats that you need to have healthy blood flow to your brain and all other body parts.

10. Whole Grains

Whole grains are very important for brain power because they contribute to dietary fiber and they are strong sources of vitamin E. Whole grains are a source of choline which, according to Shape Magazine, is a nutrient involved in boosting memory function.

11. Dark Green Leafy Veggies

Greens such as kale, collard greens, spinach, and broccoli are good sources of Vitamin E and Folate. These greens also contain the antioxidant Lutein, which helps prevent cognitive decline.