To My Guardian Angel

To My Guardian Angel

373
To My Guardian Angel

Dear Guardian Angel,

Why they took you from me so soon, I will never understand, but I can only be grateful for the time we had been given. I don't think I had every truly known what it felt like to be heartbroken, as the sadness just sat in the pit of my stomach. The tears streamed down my cheeks like a waterfall. Once I thought my eyes had reached a drought, a monsoon followed. I hope you know that the crack of your smile sent my worries flying away, and your ability to love others despite their flaws and mistakes was something I always admired. We shared hugs, laughs, tears, and infinite memories that I know I can always turn to, but know that no matter how much time progresses, I will always long to share these things with you again.

The concept of your absence is one I will struggle with until it is my turn to earn my wings, but for now, I can trust that you are fluttering by my side, following every step I take. With the sway of the trees, the crack of lightening, a boom of thunder, the glare of sunlight on my windshield, I know you are with me. For every anxious moment I have, you will calm me down. For every moment of excitement, you will celebrate with me. For every birthday I have, you will contribute an extra puff of air to blow out my candles. For every tear I shed, you will wipe them away. For every moment of regret, there will be your reassurance. I can't escape you if I tried, and I like it that way.

I don't think I ever thought about what would cross my mind once I knew that you were gone from my presence for good. I have thought about the happy times, the future events where you won't be physically present, your witty comments -- everything; I've thought about it all. I have been so focused on how lucky I was to have had you, completely forgetting that you are still here, and will never disappear. There's just some sort of magic in the air, now, reassuring me that you are forever present. It is something I will never quite be able to put into words, but I just know that it's God's grace reuniting us again.

I know how upset you would be with me if I went on living my life with tears in my eyes; what service would I be doing to you and to others if I left my smile behind? Lives lost should be celebrated forever, and you are no exception. I can only try my best to live my life as you would have lived yours, striving to be there for others and to put a smile on someone's face every day. May the reminders of your presence forever grace my heart, from my car keychain stating 'never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly', to the humming of your favorite songs, to the memories that resurface and send warmth through my heart. I am lucky to have you, always and forever.

For I have truly realized that a life is measured by the quality of its moments, not the quantity of time that you were present. It is about the imprints you leave on someone's heart, the support and love you exemplify every day, and the way you light up a room whenever you're in it. You, my beautiful and wonderful guardian angel, have taught me more than you will ever know, and will continue teaching me and supporting me until it is my time to be that guardian angel for someone else.

With love and a heavy heart that is left to be mended by you,

Your Pride and Joy