To The Person I Need To Say Goodbye To

To The Person I Need To Say Goodbye To

“There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise, you'll never understand what it's saying.” Sarah Dessen

1189
To The Person I Need To Say Goodbye To
Michael Phelan Art

To The Person I Need To Say Goodbye To,

I trusted you, and you betrayed that trust. I invested in you, and you didn’t invest anything back into me. You always left me feeling empty. Yet, I kept coming back time after time to talk to you because I thought that you could change. I remained optimistic, thinking that by some chance maybe -- just maybe -- you would change. You would see where you went wrong and where you hurt me. But I was wrong. You told me you didn’t care about me, and that you’re over it. Well, you know what? I’m over it, too.

I’m over being treated like I’m inferior. I’m over being treated like a child. I’m over being treated like I don’t know anything. I’m over being treated like everything is my fault. I’m much stronger than you realize, and I’ve been through a lot of mentally scarring events in my life, which you may know about if you actually took a second to listen to me. I know you think you have some sort of hold on me, but you don’t. There is a bright future ahead of me, and quite frankly you’re not a part of it.

I don’t regret having you in my life because you made me stronger and taught me how to stand up for myself and for what I believe in. I’ve learned that no matter how much you invest into some people not everyone will return it. I’ve learned how to have a voice, and with that voice I want you to know that I wish the best for you. I hope you find happiness and joy in every day. I hope you learn how to be the best person you can be. I also hope that you see where your flaws are because we all have flaws, and even though they’re called flaws for a reason it doesn’t mean that we can’t try and fix them -- or even just try to make them better. Love with your heart and chase after truth. Know what you want, but be willing to make sacrifices. Be open.

I hope you take my advice to heart, and know that just because I need to say goodbye to you doesn’t mean that these words aren’t true. I hope you figure out what you need to figure out, but what I’ve figured out is that my life doesn’t have room for you. I’m happy right now, and I’m walking on the path that I want to walk on. Now, this isn't to say that saying goodbye is going to be easy, but it's what I need to do. I cannot let myself be broken by someone who doesn't care if I'm broken. Goodbyes aren't easy, but sometimes, like now, they are necessary.

So, at this point, there is a fork in the road. There are two options in front of me. I can follow you and go straight, where I see misery and darkness and pain. Or I can turn right. To the right I see joy and happiness and a future.

I turned right. Goodbye.

Sincerely,
The Girl Who Said Goodbye