10 Grey's Anatomy Quotes To Inspire You

10 Grey's Anatomy Quotes To Inspire You

You've heard these, but have you ever really thought about them?

1048
10 Grey's Anatomy Quotes To Inspire You
Deadline

Plenty of us have a (sick, scary, crazy, amazing… you choose) obsession with the hit show "Grey’s Anatomy." Maybe it’s for the hot hot hot doctors, maybe you actually like the medical jargon, or maybe it’s because it’s drama that isn’t yours, for once. Whatever the reason, there’s one thing all of us "Grey’s" viewers can agree upon: The characters are pretty damn insightful.

Here’s a list of some of the best quotes from the show and why I think you need to hear them, think about them, and maybe even apply them to your own life. And when you’re done, go back to binge-watching old seasons, because I know that’s what you were doing before you clicked this article.

1. “When it hurts so much that you can’t breathe, that’s when you know you’re alive.”

Ever feel like you just can’t do it anymore, whatever “it” is? In a monologue delivered by each member of the cast, Izzie gets this line. Izzie suffered through the death of her fiancé and then cancer, among other things. She got through all of it, so you can get through anything, too, no matter how much it hurts or how close to rock bottom you think you might be.

You’re alive. Life is going to hurt you, but the tough times are just a reminder that you have to work towards the better times. If nothing hurt, it wouldn’t be life.

2. “Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature.”

Cristina knows what she’s talking about. I think sometimes everyone needs to hear this, whether it's in a moment of weakness, or when you don’t know where you’re going in life, or really any other occasion when you just aren’t sure of yourself.

Everyone is capable of being unstoppable. I also think she meant that you need to put your all into everything that you do, and don’t be boring. Find something you absolutely love doing and run with it, and be the very best you can be.

3. “Pick me. Choose me. Love me.”

It’s OK to want someone to love you, but is it OK to beg for it? Clearly it worked out for Meredith, but I don’t think it always would. If someone's going to love you, you can’t force him or her, as much as you want to. If someone wants to pick you and choose you and love you, you shouldn’t have to ask them.

I always had that problem with MerDer (but let’s be real, I still loved them), but I could never say this to someone in real life. If you don’t love me, fine. I’ll find someone who will.

4. “She’s my best friend, and right or wrong, she was there when you weren’t.”

Sisters before misters! Meredith and Cristina are each other’s persons. Cristina was there for Mer through every little thing she struggled with while Derek wasn’t, and he even tried to make her feel bad for going to her best friend instead of him! That old saying, “Friends are forever, boys are whatever,” is totally what Meredith was getting at here.

Boys (even the manly, McDreamy, smart, brain surgeon ones) come and go, but chances are that your best friend will always be someone you can rely on, so don’t forget that, and don’t let a guy push you around for talking to your best friend, or for anything. And don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself if a guy is doing those things!

5. “If you love someone, tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. You say it, and you say it loud.”

This entire monologue is heartbreaking and touching, and if you haven’t seen it, watch the finale of season nine, the first episode of season 10, and break out the tissues. Mark loved Lexie for a long time, and then he had to watch her die. He got to tell her how he felt in her final moments, but it’s clear that he wished he could have told her sooner. Before that, Mark was too scared to say it and never thought it was the proper time.

However, he realized that loving someone is just something you need to express. So, you heard McSteamy. Get out there. Tell that person you love them, even if it’s your parents. You never know when it might be too late. Maybe love isn’t your speed yet. That’s OK. If you’ve got any sort of feelings for someone, perhaps you should tell them, especially if you think they’re reciprocated. (Lexie totally loved Mark the entire time!!)

6. “It’s a beautiful day to save lives!”

Although Derek (rest his soul) was a brain surgeon and he saved people that way, nothing is stopping you from saving somebody in a different way. Be someone that your friends or even strangers can talk to.

Offer someone help. Whatever you can think of that might change a person’s life, even in a really small way, do it. You never know what someone could be going through and how you can impact them for the better.

7. “He is not the sun. You are.”

I’ve always thought that everyone needs a friend like Cristina, and this quote of hers really proved that. Anyone who's had a crush, or been in a relationship, or anything of the sort, has probably needed to hear this at some point. Never let anyone take your shine from you.

YOU are the most important person in your life. Someone else can make you happy or make your life easier or better, but at the end of the day, no matter what, all you have is yourself. Remember that you’re the sun: the center of the freakin' galaxy. Everything revolves around you.

8. “Knowing is better than wondering, waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure beats the hell out of not trying.”

Meredith is so wise. Pretend Mer is speaking to you next time you aren’t sure if you should try something. You should! She would want you to, and you don’t want to upset her, right? Come on, we’ve seen her cry enough already. Failing is better than not trying at all, because that’s a failure in itself. If you try something, there’s a pretty good chance it will work.

Whether it’s a relationship, a new sport, a job, or a hobby you want to pick up, just try it. The worst that can happen is that you fail at it, and there are way worse things in life (like losing your sister, your husband’s best friend, your mother, your step-mother, your husband… you get the picture).

9. “You deserve to be with someone who makes you happy. Somebody who’s not going to complicate your life. Somebody who won’t hurt you.”

Almost cried when Derek said this. Happiness, especially your own, should be your number one priority in life, at least in my opinion. I’ve been in a relationship (a few, honestly) where I wasn’t completely happy or where the person was constantly hurting me in some way. It’s not mentally healthy, and every single person on this entire earth deserves exactly what Derek describes, no matter what.

Love is beautiful when you find the person who makes you happy, doesn’t complicate your life, and doesn’t hurt you. Not every relationship is perfect, but I’d say happiness is the least you can ask for. If you don’t have your happiness, then what else do you really have?

10. "Go hug yourself."

Now, maybe Mer wasn't being serious when she said this, but can't we all use a hug from ourselves sometimes?