The Original Big 3: The San Antonio Spurs

Before Lebron, Bosh and Wade their was Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili

211

Those who pay attention to the NBA know of “The Big Three”. In Miami it was Lebron James, joining Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. Long before Lebron bought his talents to South Beach, a trio had been working together in San Antonio. Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan have been throwing down ally-oops, and sinking threes since 2001. These three own many records together and while all over the age of 30. 

Tony Parker is the 32 year old point guard from France. Parker, born in 1982, began his professional career in 1999 in a French league. While playing on a French Club he also participated in 8 EuroBasket tournaments. His top stats came in 2011 where he averaged 22 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.4 assist through the whole tournament. Parker entered the NBA in 2001. He was the 28th pick overall by the Spurs. Parker is a key factor in the Spurs machine. He has a vision that is almost unmatched in the league. He owns the Spurs all time assist record. He also has a major ability to get to the rim. His euro step layup is legendary and he can weave through defenders like they're standing still. In Parker's 13 years he has averaged 17.1 points per game and 6 assist. Playing with fellow legends Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobili, Parker has grown into one of the premier point guard in the league. In this young season Parker has averaged 16.2 points per game, 5.2 assist per game. 

The second player of the trio is shooting guard Manu Ginobili. Ginobili is 37 years old and hails from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Like Parker, Ginobili started his pro career in his home country. He played for the Andino Sport Club team La Roja in 1995. In 1999 Ginobili decided to enter the NBA Draft. He was taken 57th overall by the Spurs. Ginobili's trait is that he can fit anywhere into the teams lineup. He spent most of his NBA career in the starting lineup but has been moved into the sixth man spot and won the sixth man of the year award in 2008. His jump shot is accurate from all over the floor. His 3 point shot is also very good averaging 36.9% from behind the line in his career. In his career he has averaged 14.6 points per game, and 4 assist. His highest amount of points and minutes played came in the Spurs 2007 championship season (19.5 PPG, 31.1 MPG). This season Ginobili is continuing to be a major factor off the bench in the sixth man position. He is averaging 12.8 PPG and 5.2 assist per game. 

Tim Duncan rounds out this trio of amazing players. At age 38 Duncan is the oldest of the group. Playing down low in the power forward spot, Duncan is known as one of the best power forwards to ever play in the NBA. His legendary post moves allow him to back down players all over the court and on the defensive end he sends shots flying into the stands with his energetic blocks. Before his time in the NBA Duncan attended Wake Forest. After 4 years, Duncan graduated and entered the NBA draft in 1997 and was selected first overall by the Spurs. Duncan has averaged over 15 points per game in all but one season in his career. He has also racked up 5 championships, 2 MVP's, 3 finals MVP's, rookie of the year (1997), and defensive player of the year (2013). He is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to ever suit up for the Spurs. In his long industrious career Duncan has averaged 19.8 PPG, 11.1 assist, while continually playing high minutes (34.7 average), and shooting well (50.5% from the field). This year Tim has averaged 16 PPG, and 10.8 rebounds per game. 

These three have all become legendary not only in Texas but all over the nation. Together they are the most successful trio in NBA playoffs history winning 111 games over their careers. They own more wins then combos including Magic Johnson, Kareem Abul-Jabbar, and Michael Cooper (110) and Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish (93). They own 4 championships including the most recent in 2013 beating Lebron James and the Miami Heat. 

Coach Gregg Popovich is the general of this army, winning over 980 games and owning a 68.3% winning percentage. Coach Pop is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the history of the league. Assistants in Coach Popovich's system have gone on to huge success. These assistants all have huge praises for the coach. He is famous to the media for his quick responses. Instead of providing in depth answers that journalist can write about he provides quick short sentences that get right to the point. 

This group should go down as the best trio to ever play. These three all work well together and in there separate positions. All three of these players are getting older yet with their skills still high and the high team chemistry the Spurs can still compete with the youngsters in the western conference.