Year in Review: Top 5 Pop Albums

Year in Review: Top 5 Pop Albums

In no particular order.

60
Year in Review:  Top 5 Pop Albums
Ultimate Music

"Pop," you say? But, how can these be your favorite "pop" albums if not every song from each album was on the radio 24/7? Well, I answer this pertinent and thoughtful question, pop, technically speaking, is music that can universally speak to the masses in some form or another, and doesn't quite reach the esoteric level of smooth free-form jazz, even at its most dissonant points.

These records, I have found, can and do appeal to a great range of people to whom I have spoken and seem to cover most of the ground that popular music should it 2015: This can range from dance club numbers to records that build on a vintage theme in a sonically fresh and varied way, to rich soundscapes that simply were not technologically possible even 20 years ago, which have somehow made it onto "popular" radio. The albums I've listed here contain elements of many genres, both cutting-edge and classic, and deftly manage to weave them into compact but spectacular packages which can be described as toe-tappable "pop songs" in every sense of the word.

1. Adam Lambert - The Original High:

The junior effort from American Idol baby combines the feel of his previous records with considerably updated and even more club-accessible jams. A lot less retro but still with a few harder rock numbers, his sound remains consistent but never fails to impress with its fresh and sometimes shocking motifs and frank lyrics.

2. Breaking Benjamin - Dark Before Dawn:

Alt-metal rockers and pioneers of the genre return after a bitter six year battle with medical issues, legal dispute and nearly complete line-up change (barring lead singer). Few things have changed about the sound other than a bit of a technical face-lift and some fuller harmonies, but both the potency and ability to move one to new levels of emotion remain fully intact.

3. ELO - Alone in the Universe:

The long-awaited return of occasional one man band and bygone international superstar, Jeff Lynne, sees him once again writing, producing, arranging, recording and playing every instrument on every track; the one exception is his engineer, who occasionally rocks the shaker. The veteran rocker has spent his years since the original Electric Light Orchestra’s official demise in relative silence, popping up only for the occasional producer credit on other rock ’n roll cohorts' albums and for an album of his favorite childhood covers in 2012. Each song leads exactly where you would hope, lending itself to an odd sense of familiarity that is occasionally broken up by some musically surprisingly moments that fit very well but still challenge the ear.

4. Adele - 25:

Singer/songwriter sweetheart, Adele, after recently recovering from a harrowing set of vocal chord operations, returns in full force and then some, with a sleek and potent if consummately lachrymose collection of brutally melodic love longs. She once again shows she knows how to hand-pick a great crew to produce a full-bodied, modern pop record with just enough soul and memorable hooks to bolster herself further into the empathetic, lovelorn realm of song that makes her so relatable and a joy to journey along with.

5. Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure:

Not only has he been the de facto leader and tortured genius behind The Beach Boys for close to 55 years, but he continually reinvents himself to somehow remain fresh and relevant in the youthful pop world. Featuring artists as diverse Nate Ruess of “fun.”, Kacey Musgraves and She & Him, it’s a gorgeous collection of tunes that harkens back to the lush harmonic content of his Beach Boys’ heyday; additionally, it contains somewhat ironic nods to Brian’s love of experimental and unorthodox production methods and even moments of jingle-jangly indie pop that considerably brighten the mood just the right amount between contemplative ballads.