How To Make The Most Of Your Summer

How To Make The Most Of Your Summer

Four tips to get you out of your mid summer slump.

20
How To Make The Most Of Your Summer

While school is in session, we find ourselves daydreaming about being able to relax by the pool, stay out and sleep in as late as we want, and catch up with old high school friends. Although, more often than not, we wind up hitting a slump mid-break and start missing college. Of course we don't miss the massive amounts of homework or having to set our alarm for that 9 a.m. class, but we do start to miss our college friends, laying out on the green, weekend dages and even sometimes those sweaty basement parties we all love to hate.

Here are four ways that you can get over that mid summer hump. No matter if it hits you days, weeks, or months after school lets out.

1. Pick up a New Hobby.

Summer is great because there are 3 months where you can pick up and perfect that new activity you have been dying to try all semester. This hobby could be a sport, a musical instrument, a new technique of cooking or even that DIY you have been meaning to try off your Pinterest board- the possibilities are endless!

2. Travel and Explore.

Find your wanderlust! Whenever I talk to people post grad their number one regret is that they did not travel enough. College years are a perfect time to discover how big and amazing our world is. As full time students, we have commitments, but we also have allotted free time. So ladies and gentleman please do not spend it sitting on the couch. Get up and seize the day!

3. Be at Peace with Yourself.

During school we are always trying to balance our social and academic lives equally, while also trying to maintain at least 6 hours of sleep per night. Rarely does this ever work out in our favor. We wind up either sleep deprived, or on the Instagram 'popular page' with no likes. I cannot tell you how many times my mother told me that if I enrolled in yoga, or take a short break each day, things will get better. Well, during the semester there is just not enough time in the day to take an hour for myself. Summer is the perfect time to find your inner peace. Watch the sunrise or sunset, lie in your backyard and try to find the constellations…anything that lets you breath in the moment.

4. Strengthen your Academia.

Summer has a unique power over us. We can spend almost 10 months filling our brain with information and then in just 3 months all of that information disappears. One way we can keep this from happening is to keep our minds stimulated. Many college students apply for internships. Although this is the most desirable goal, it is the hardest to attain. Personally, I applied to around 50 companies and only heard back from 1 of them. If an internship does not work out, there are still plenty of options. Having a summer job or doing volunteer work is a great way to spend your time, make a little extra spending money, and put another accomplishment on your resume! Now the least desirable, but probably the most helpful with your college education, is to enroll in summer classes. Most junior/community colleges will have inexpensive per credit fees and taking these classes will help you get ahead in your semester work for the fall. If you're afraid of being kept inside a classroom all summer long, don't worry! There are usually ample amounts of online classes to choose from so you can work on your tan and your homework at the same time.