12 Reasons Why You Should Watch Supernatural

And I do mean now

12030

"Supernatural" is a show about two brothers, Sam and Dean, who travel across the country hunting creatures of all brands of wicked. It has survived and thrived for over 10 years! That has to say something about its quality, right? I was hesitant to watch it because I am not a horror person. Scary movies don't agree with me in the slightest, but the Internet (always a reliable source) informed me that after the first couple of seasons the jump-scare factor would dissipate.

It was the day after Christmas, I had some free time on my hands (and was staving off the post-Christmas blues), and I figured I'd give it a shot. That was the most spectacular idea at the same time that it was the most idiotic. Suffice to say, a lot of my break consisted of Netflix and looking at the clock going, Whoops! It's suddenly 5 a.m.! How'd that happen? But it was worth it.

Don't be daunted or deterred by the over 230 episodes already released, instead, get psyched, grab your laptop and take a break from whatever you are doing to delve into the magical, comical, oftentimes bloody and occasionally devastating world of "Supernatural." If my little schpiel isn't enough to convince you, here are 12 veritable reasons why you should watch:

1. Eye candy.

The two main characters are not hard on the eyes, that's for sure.

You look good, too, buddy.

2. Comic relief.

This show is chock full of death, tragedy, gore and horror, but it certainly leaves room for some good ole’ comic relief. There’s plenty of scenes that seem like they came straight from the gag reel, but nope, they actually happened. There are no boundaries in "Supernatural." Anything goes.

Like that time the actors of Sam and Dean had to act as themselves acting like Sam and Dean. Quite the tongue twister. It made for a hilarious episode though.

And when they debated whether or not they were going to kill an alcoholic teddy bear. (I kid you not, that absurdity occurred.)

Not to mention, the episode in which a teen switched bodies with Sam. (And “played it smooth” whilst ordering his first alcoholic beverage.)

Or, that time when Dean started acting like a dog. Yes, he attempted to shoot the pigeons he was bickering with in a public parking lot. Poor Sam had to be the one to assure the bystanders that all was well.

And when we got to see Sam through Dean’s perspective. Apparently he’s a hugger.

3. Brotherly moments

My favorite part of the show is the relationship between Sam and Dean. They would (and do) die for each other and share an unbreakable bond. I’m a sucker for brotherly love, what can I say? They hug, I melt inside. It’s inevitable.

I mean, come on, look at this hug's intensity.

And the conviction behind Sam's words is palpable, just by looking at his expression.

Dean is dead serious when he threatens those that dare hurt his Sammy.

How adorable is this next line!? (I know it's cheesy, but cheesy is cute.)

Aw... Dean taking care of his little brother, as always.

4. Baby (The Car) and car chats.

The Impala is Dean’s prized possession, his car, his “baby” as he calls it. The car makes an appearance in nearly every episode. There's even a whole episode seen through the perspective of Baby. (Which was surprisingly great!) Come between Dean and Baby, and you will be sorry.

Yup, rough and tough Dean quoted “Dirty Dancing.” That’s how much his car means to him.

My love for Baby mainly stems from the many chats the brothers have in the car or leaning against the hood while they drink beer or eat take out. Heart to hearts, arguments, whatever the topic of conversation may be, I always enjoy them.

5. Sass.

"Supernatural" wouldn’t be "Supernatural" without its episodic doses of sass. It further adds to the entertainment value and makes the innumerable tragedies bearable (for the most part).

6. Action.

If you’re a fan of all things action-packed, then "Supernatural" is for you. Each episode entails shooting, stabbing, staking, beheading or burning, and Sam and Dean constantly brush up against Death (or share a meal with him...yes, "him" meaning Death, who is personified, which triples the awesome).

7. Creatures.

There are a myriad of creatures in the show, those that are familiar--fairies, demons, dragons, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, etc. -- and those that are not as well known -- rakshasas, Djinn, wraiths, leviathans, rugarus, etc. -- all with their own unique abilities or traits. Each week I eagerly await the introduction of the next new supernatural being and how they will be hunted by the unstoppable Winchester brothers.

Here’s the Hindu monster, Rakshasa, that just so happens to look like a creepy clown. Fun, right?

These guys are also some of the more rare and intriguing of the creatures. They are genie-esque and known as Djinn, sticking their victims in fake realities.

8. The music.

I don’t know every song that is played throughout the show, but I can appreciate how perfectly they work with whatever scene they are in. Plus, when a song comes on Baby's radio, seeing the brothers (or just Dean) jam out after a stressful, death-defying day, is gratifying. They deserve some goofing off.

10. Flashbacks.

Getting a taste of what life was like for the Winchesters as youngsters is a key piece of the show. It adds another layer to who the brothers are and why they are so close, yet also why they are so different in how they viewed hunting and their father when they were kids.

We get to see sweet goodnights.

Sam looking to his big brother for help with girls.

And we witness the historic day on which Sam gave Dean the necklace. (Watch the show if you want to understand why a drab looking necklace is so special.)

11. Lovable villains.

There are the villains you love to hate, those you simply despise and then there are those that you can’t help but find endearing. Lucifer and the demon, Crowley, are so darn likable. Yes, they’re evil, but even when they’re plotting ways to jumpstart the apocalypse or are killing innocents, I can’t help but still look upon them fondly. Why? It’s hard to say. Again, I guess you’ll just have to watch and figure it out for yourself.

That snarky demon is Crowley, the king of Hell.

And that guy making the puppy dog face, that's Lucifer. (The devil isn't so scary looking after all.)

12. The acting.

Last, but not least, is the acting, which only gets better and better as the seasons progress. As to not spoil anything, I won’t go into detail about the scenes that I find to be the most well-acted. Though I will say this: the acting is believable. I don’t think, Oh, they’re forcing it or Yeah, that’s acting. They embody their roles so that I don’t have to strain myself to separate the character from the actor, they do that naturally. So major kudos to the ever-talented Jared Padalecki (Sam) and Jensen Ackles (Dean), as the leads, the success and longevity of the show is thanks to them. (They also seem like incredibly sweet guys in real life, too, not jaded or made pompous due to fame.)

Their crying is raw and emotional.

And their laughter is genuine (proven by the fact that I just smiled while watching these gifs).

And there are a slew of wonderful minor characters, as well, many of them making appearances from season to season.

You might recognize one of the minors, Officer Jody Mills, from her time as a singing mom on "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody."

If you’re already an avid watcher of "Supernatural," I hope you enjoyed reading this and thinking back on some of the funniest or most heart wrenching episodes. If you’re a "Supernatural" virgin, I repeat my earlier statement: grab your laptop and relish in this fantastic show!