When You Wake Up And You're 26

When You Wake Up And You're 26

How different life is when one day you are 16 and the next you are 26.

10
When You Wake Up And You're 26
Alana Burns/Jessica Nicolo

As I have gotten older, I never realized the changes that take place in life. Sometimes they are beautiful because you learn to love the little things a tad bit more with time moving so fast, other times it is horrible and you start to wonder when you began to look tired ALL. THE. TIME. (OK seriously, when did that happen?) As I was spending time with some of the high school girls at my church, I began to notice major differences that I had not realized were there.

1. At 16, you want to drive everywhere and let everyone ride in your car. At 26, you pray someone else volunteers to drive before you have to break down and offer up your car.

I mean have you seen gas prices? It is ridiculous and I would rather not get gas but once a paycheck if at all possible! Speaking of prices...

2. At 16, you never look at the price of a bottle of shampoo since it is not usually coming out of your pocket. At 26, you try to find the best brand and hope to find it on cartwheel, ibotta, and have a manufacturers coupon for it.

In high school I would feel like I needed to buy a $20 bottle of shampoo, now I'm good with Dove, and you might catch me dancing if it is discounted in any way.

3. At 16, you get full glam before meeting up with your friends. At 26, you show up in sweats.

Even if you are just going to the movies, makeup has to be on point, especially with tons of tutorials circling the internet. When I was in high school, I could not do more than your basic cover up and glitter lip gloss.

4. At 16, you hate having to go out to dinner with your family. At 26, you are thankful your family called and that you get a free meal out of it.

I am seriously so bummed when my parents go out to eat and I don't get leftovers, let alone an invite. I obviously know they need date night, but a free meal and family time are always welcome.

5. At 16, you would be mortified to be photographed in the same outfit twice. At 26, you are just thankful if all your laundry is clean and you have the opportunity to wear a cute outfit.

Who doesn't love a T-shirt and leggings? Comfy clothes are always a great thing to wear, but sometimes it is so nice to get glammed up and wear a cute dress, even if you did wear it last month at a birthday dinner! I mean, what did I even wear last Tuesday?

6. At 16, you would stay up all night with your friends and thought a 10 p.m. curfew was ridiculous. At 26, you dream about what it would be like to be in bed by 10 p.m. every night.

Who else loves some late night FRIENDS and Parenthood? I may not wish to go to sleep at 10, but I would totally love a little bit more Netflix and Rest!

7. At 16, you are "overworked" by a 10 hr/week job making minimum wage. At 26, you are so excited if you have a free evening to literally do nothing.

Working 40 hours a week, grocery shopping, church, bible study, etc. I feel like it never ends! With every year there are more responsibilities, so just get ready! (Can we get a special shout out to #housework?)

8. At 16, you wish you could buy all your makeup at Sephora or a cute $30 picnic basket, except you have no money. At 26, you wish you could buy all your makeup at Sephora or a cute $30 picnic basket, but you have bills.

Will there ever come a time to buy whatever we want? Probably not, but dreaming is so nice sometimes!

9. At 16, you wish you had a huge walk-in closet for all your clothes. At 26, you have the full walk-in going on, but half of those clothes have not fit since you were 16.

How many have more than two sizes in their closets? We will fit back into those jeans one day!

10. At 16, you love to grab a late dinner or fourth meal with no regrets. At 26, you still eat late, but for dessert you have a TUMS.

Some days it is just good for the soul to run through Taco Bell at 10 p.m. and get a cheesy bean and rice burrito with a cheese quesadilla (Clearly, my main problem is really cheese). Just make sure to follow that up with two TUMS and probably a probiotic as well.

11. At 16, you want to get the coolest cars with the latest features. At 26, you want the most dependable car.

We go from wanting a great stereo system and leather seats to safety ratings and air conditioning.

12. At 16, your skin is either baby smooth or full of acne and you think it will never be as bad as this moment. At 26, you drop $75 on a wrinkle cream because you realize there is no going back at this point.

I will admit it. I used to think it was insane to spend anything over $10 for skincare. That was until I got the first wrinkle on my forehead. No ma'am. I will try anything to prevent more of these little guys.

13. At 16, you wish to be 26 for a day. At 26, you wish to be 16 for just one more day.

I guess it just goes back to what they always say: "You always want what you don't have, and you can't go back and change anything!" Live every moment to its fullest.

14. At 16, you think you are addicted to coffee because you drink Starbucks three times a week. At 26, you seriously wonder what would happen if you didn't have coffee.

Maxwell House, Folgers, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or Gevalia. Just make it strong and I will take it with a very happy heart!