12 Classic (Modern) Horror Movies: A Beginner's Guide

From Alfred Hitchcock to found footage, some movies have redefined the genre. Here's where to start.

350

From the obvious gags and classic jump scares; classic (modern) horror movies are always a good time. Each of these movies helped define the horror genre to what it is today by bringing something new to the genre they call their own.

"Psycho" (1960)

Alfred Hitchcock’s genius shines brightly in this film. It brought the horror genre into what it is today. From the shifts in perspective to the classic shower murder scene, this movie was the first that really threw viewers off from the moment it started. While not absolutely horrifying, this movie was one of the first to truly bring the idea of “psychological thriller” to life.

"Night of the Living Dead" (1968)

One of the first zombie movies to terrify viewers and inspired countless other zombie movies, shows, and books. Without the success of the George A. Romero’s characters hiding out from zombies in a farmhouse, we probably wouldn’t have "The Walking Dead," or any of our other favorite undead creations.

"The Exorcist" (1973)

This. Movie. Is. Horrifying. Watch it with the lights on. Even though it’s from the 1970s, it has held up as the most terrifying horror movie of all time. The story of Regan’s possession and her mother’s desperate attempts to save her calls for the help of an exorcist, but is it too late? This film shocks you in every way possible, and is one of the few horror movies to have an intense plot with not only character development but also a full expositional arc. This classic horror staple will keep you on your toes from the very beginning, but is absolutely worth the scare.

"Jaws" (1975)

This movie is the reason we’re scared of sharks. With the classic line “we’re gonna need a bigger boat,” we know that this small island community is about to be shocked to the core when a giant great white shark begins its reign of terror. Steven Spielberg brings to life this terrifying shark with the extremely well known theme “duh na…duh na...dun dun dun…” that has scared viewers for 40 years.

"Carrie" (1976)

From the master of horror novels, Stephen King, comes the story of Carrie. Abused, bullied, and shy teenage Carrie discovers her telekinetic powers after the prom night from hell. Many of King’s creepy and terrifying novels have been made into movies, but this one stands out because of how King wrote the novel. During the 1970's, King was an alcoholic and a heavy drug user; so much to the point that when his editor sent him back the revisions to "Carrie" he realized he didn’t remember writing the ending. And ending that terrified even the writer? This one is an absolute classic.

"Halloween" (1978)

Fifteen years after 6-year-old Michael Meyers murdered his older sister and was sent to a mental hospital, the doctor who cared for him arrives to his small hometown to tell them that he’s escaped. "Halloween" is the first movie to have done the “silent masked killer who will never die” trope that was copied by countless movies to come. Without a doubt, John Carpenter’s creativity redefined the horror genre with this movie. Michael Meyers is the ultimate Boogeyman, and movies are still being made about him.

"Friday the 13th" (1980)

This is the first sleep away camp horror movie to make it big. It’s also why hockey masks are sold at Party City during Halloween. When camper Jason Voorhees drowned 30 ago, Camp Crystal Lake closed its gates. Now, it’s getting ready to reopen. Unfortunately, the counselors are being murdered the Friday before it’s due to open. Is it Jason? Or is it someone else? With twists and turns that lead to one of the most successful horror franchises of all time (including a remake), this movie is important to the genre by making us all petrified of playing strip poker. And being a camp counselor.

"Poltergeist" (1982)

“They’re here.” Amazingly, this movie is only rated PG. But don’t let that makes you think it’s a mild movie. The story of a southern California family being terrorized by seemingly nice poltergeists takes a turn for the worse when the youngest daughter, Carol Anne, makes contact with them through the static TV channel. And just when you think it’s over, it’s not. As one of the first classic horror movies I saw, this still holds up as one of my favorites of all time. There is a remake currently in production that I have unreasonably high hopes for.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984)

There’s absolutely nothing more horrifying than never, ever being able to escape the monster. Even a good night’s sleep won’t be enough for Nancy and her friends, as Freddie Kruger attacks them in their sleep. I apologize in advance if you can’t sleep after watching this, but Wes Craven is a horror genius. With the introduction of Johnny Depp as an actor, you’re going to be absolutely shocked at the amount of fake blood used in this film: over 500 gallons. While a good number of the deaths occur off-screen, you are still kept on your toes with Craven’s genius writing that spawned many sequels, and even a TV show starring none other than Freddy Kruger.

"The Silence of the Lambs" (1991)

I watched this movie for the first time two weeks ago, and I will not hesitate to say it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The only horror movie, and one of the three movies to have ever won the “Big Five” awards at the Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Leading Actor, Best Leading Actress, Best Director, and Best Screenplay), you know you’re in for something phenomenal. FBI trainee Clarisse Starling is sent to profile the famous serial killer and psychologist, Hannibal Lector – known by the press as “Hannibal the Cannibal” – she does not hesitate for one second. She must confide in him in order to catch another terrifying killer, “Buffalo Bill”, who is well known for skinning his female victims. While not exactly traditionally scary, this movie is absolutely gorgeously directed and produced. The serene acting done by Anthony Hopkins will shock you to the bone, and have you looking over your shoulder every time you’re in a crowd.

"Scream" (1996)

Another one of Wes Craven’s masterpieces, you have a killer who casually calls their victims and asks them trivia questions in order to keep themselves alive. When the masked killer focuses on quiet Sydney Prescott and her friends, movie nerd Randy steps up to announce the “rules” of horror movies. These rules consist of things he’s learned from watching copious amounts of movies, and should keep them safe now that they seem to be in a horror movie themselves. While not completely breaking the fourth wall, this movie knocks a few holes in it by having characters who are aware of their situation and at least somewhat well-informed about what is going on with them. I stand firm in my statement that Craven was a creative mind who knew how to think outside the box and scare viewers in an entirely different way.

"The Blair Witch Project" (1999)

If not the first, then this is definitely the most famous “found footage” horror movie ever made. A group of teens investigating the rumor of Maryland’s Blair Witch vanish without a trace…well, except for their video camera. The movie consists of this footage, so the viewer’s point of view is the same as the characters. The three lead actors were the ones holding the cameras during filming, making their experience seem even more real. The actors stayed in character for all eight days of production, and even slept in the woods when they were filming. The movie was produced with such accuracy that it inspired almost every other “found footage” film that has come along since ("Paranormal Activity" being one of the most famous). All who view it are still deciding whether the Blair Witch myth is real or not, and now it’s your turn to make up your mind…

No matter what terrifying flick you hide under your covers during, or watch from behind your bowl of popcorn, it is bound to have its origin in one (or more) of these movies.