The 5 Stages Of Being A Second Semester Senior, Who Isn't Graduating | The Odyssey Online

The 5 Stages Of Being A Second Semester Senior, Who Isn't Graduating

College is a fun time, so what's another year of it?

34

College is a fun and confusing time, and who wouldn't want another year of it?! Well, a few of us actually. Some of us are in five-year programs, some of us are catching up from being transfer students and some of us changed our majors late in the game. Whatever the reason, it's OK to take that victory lap, but we have some second thoughts while doing it. Second semester during senior year part one might be the hardest four months during that wait to walk across a stage wearing a funny hat. Here are the five stages of it.

1. Another year? OK, OK, I can do that.

Another year? Victory lap, here I come! College is fun and there are so many things we can do in college that we can't do when we become adults! Like take naps on Mondays at 2 p.m. for three hours or go get food at 1 a.m. and not have it completely mess up my sleeping schedule because it's already messed up!

2. Wait, everyone is getting job offers and I'm looking for another internship...

*Sitting in class* *Someone gets a real job*

*Surfing through Facebook* *Someone got a real job*

*Hanging out with friends* *Someone gets a real job*

I swear it happens once a week, and I am seriously so happy for you all! That doesn't mean, though, that all of us who have another year to go aren't sitting there feeling like we are doing something wrong. But then we remember we need to land that summer internship still to land that awesome job in the future and motivation kicks back in.

3. I can't do another year; I need to graduate NOW.

We hit mid-semester, and it seems like we can't go one more day. Test after test, paper after paper. When can this all end, and I never have to touch a textbook again?

4. I should be graduating; I feel like such a slacker.

At some point, you'll start to feel guilty about that fifth year. All of your friends are starting to graduate and move on from college, and you're getting ready to do it over again one more time.

Plus, since you're classified as a senior, you get all of the "senior emails" and it's like a weekly reminder of "hey, shouldn't you be wrapping up?"

5. All of you are sad about graduating, and I get to enjoy this place another year. OK, I'll take it.

OK, so we have to do the extra year, and that's OK! We might as well look at the bright side of it all and just enjoy that extra year before we have to be full-blown adults. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. Your day to walk across a stage in a funny hat will be here in no time.