14 Reasons College Students Should Visit Barcelona

A city that will steal your heart...and sleep schedule.

286

Everyone has that one city that becomes your favorite place in the world. You find yourself constantly looking at pictures of your time spent there as well as annoying people by talking about “that one time” stories when you were in that city. You also find yourself planning the next time you can return to the place that stole your heart. For me, that place is Barcelona, Spain.

Barcelona is a city I always dreamed about traveling to, and not just because of watching Galleria and the rest of the Cheetah Girls "strut" throughout the beautiful city.

I studied abroad in another city in Europe last spring semester, and I was only able to visit Barcelona for a very brief time. After only being in this city for four days, the Catalonian culture changed my life and made a huge impact on me. I believe everyone should visit this city at least once in his or her lifetime. Here are some reasons why Barcelona is a must-see destination, especially for college students studying abroad.

1. The beaches

Barcelona is home to some of the best beaches in Europe. There are many restaurants and stores located along the beaches. In addition, Barcelona has some of the best nightclubs and a casino overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean.

2. The people

One of the main reasons I fell in love with Barcelona was for the extremely helpful and friendly people. If you get lost, there is always a nice Spaniard nearby to help you out. A lot of people understand English and are very helpful on giving suggestions about where to go and where to avoid.

3. Architecture

The architecture and design of Antonio Gaudí is seen all throughout the city. His work is inspiring to many due to his distinctive style. Some of the architecture will leave you absolutely speechless and standing in awe.

4. La Sagrada Família

This is by far the most beautiful church I have ever seen. It is a large Roman Catholic Church designed by Antonio Gaudí. It attracts more than 3 million visitors a year. The outside is unique and different from other churches due to its structure, but the inside is absolutely breathtaking. Gaudí's Roman Catholic faith intensified in his life, and that is portrayed by the religious images seen in many of his works.

5. Sangria

Sangria is anywhere and everywhere. Barcelona has some of the best sangria you will ever taste. It’s the best drink for a day at the beach or even for a dinner cocktail. Forget the glass, just go ahead and treat yourself with the whole pitcher!

6. Free Wi-Fi

Yes, you heard it. Free Wi-Fi! This is one of the greatest things to know, especially if you are directionally challenged, like me. Barcelona offers several hundred public Wi-Fi spots across the city.

7. Nightlife

Barcelona is known for having some of the best nightlife in the world. If you are a night owl, this is a city calling your name. The nightlife in Barcelona begins later in the evening and lasts early in the morning. Most clubs stay open until 6 a.m. Some of the clubs, like Opium and Shoko, are favorites, which are located right on the beachfront, so you can watch the sunrise as you leave and stumble back home.

8. Park Güell

Park Güell includes gardens and architectural elements. Park Güell is a reflection of Gaudí’s artistic personal style through inspiration from organic shapes.

9. Abroadfest

If you’re a college student studying abroad, this music festival is definitely one to go to! Abroadfest is held in the beginning of March, and it features multiple mainstream EDM artists. This three-day festival is held during the day and night at different popular venues in Barcelona.

10. Parc de la Ciutadella

A main attraction to see when visiting Barcelona. The park features a wide range of different attractions that suit the needs of every individual, which include a zoo, a lake, sculptures, a museum, and a beautiful fountain, designed by Josep Fontsere.

11. Soccer

FC Barcelona is one of the best soccer teams in the world. Hola, Messi!!! Soccer is an important part of the city, and if you have the opportunity to get tickets to see a game, you should definitely go.

12. La Boqueria

It is the most famous marketplace in Barcelona. It welcomes all people – locals and tourists – who want to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, seafood, meats and juices. The one Euro fruit cups are worth the visit to this marketplace.

13. Las Ramblas

From paella to tapas, your stomach will be happy once you visit Barcelona. Paella is regarded as Spain's national dish. Once you try the paella in Barcelona, you won't even think twice about the Chipotle you're missing back at home.

14. The sunsets

Cliche, but true. At the end of the day, a nice walk along the beach is something to look forward to. Barcelona sunsets are unlike any other sunset you could imagine, and you can reminisce about the memories you made while soaking up the time you have left abroad.