10 Reasons Why Selena Is Iconic

10 Reasons Why Selena Is Iconic

A Selena Appreciation Post

2854
10 Reasons Why Selena Is Iconic
fanpop.com

It is soon to be twenty-one years since the death of Selena Quintanilla-Perez, but her legacy continues to go on despite the tragedy.

Selena Quintanilla was shot and killed on March 31, 1995, at a Days Inn Motel in Corpus Christi. Her murderer was the former president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar. Selena was well known for bringing Latinos and Non-Latinos together with her music, she broke records, won awards and left an unforgettable mark in the music industry and made history for Latino Artist.

1. Her Style

When it came to her performances on stage, Selena not only brought her musical talent and voice but her own fashion designs. The singer began designing clothes around the age of 10. She was very passionate about fashion and even went on to open two boutiques. Her style is memorable and is still inspiring women today.

2. Her Music

Selena has been immortalized as the “Queen of Tejano Music.” She has several Spanish and English hits. Selena was inspired by Tejano music and created a fusion of different musical genres that incorporated other Latin influence which won over Latinos across the country.

3. Cultural Influence (Being Mexican American)

Selena brought all Latinos together with her music. Throughout her career, she not only sang in Spanish but had some English-language hits as well. She was a very successful Mexican-American artist and that brought more attention to the Mexican-American community.

4. Humble

A speculation about Selena was that she never let fame or money go to her head. Despite the fact that Selena and her family were worth an estimated $5 million, according to people magazine, most of them continued to live in three adjoining houses in the same lower-middle-class neighborhood of Corpus Christi. She is also seen as a role model.

5. American Dream

Selena and her family’s story are relatable because they were a family with a dream and trying to make it just like several other families in the United States. Also, as an American child, Selena’s dream was to reach success in the English market.

6. She Broke Records

In July 1995, her English-language hit “I Could Fall in Love” was number 2 on the Billboard’s Hot Latin Tracks chart. It was the first time an artist had both a Spanish and English language song in the Top 10.

7. Made History as a Latina Artist/ Latin American Music Industry

Selena has been credited with helping refine Latin music (Tejano, Cumbia, Pop). Selena broke records, has won a Grammy and several awards. She was called the “Queen of Tejano music” and is described as “the most important and popular Tejano music star of all time”. Also, Selena has been named one of the most influential Latin artists of all-time and has been credited with her ability to elevate a music genre into the mainstream market.

8. She Influenced many of the stars today

The film based on Selena’s life is well-known and was the breakthrough role for the actress Jennifer Lopez. Also, her fashion and sense of style are seen on several celebrities today (bustiers, showing off her curves, etc.)

9. Her Story and Death Touched Thousands of Lives

Selena’s murder had a widespread impact. Selena’s death was tragic and was something that was grieved throughout the United States and Mexico. Her death came as a shock to her fans and home state, but the entire country reacted to it as well. Reactions to her death were compared to those the deaths of musicians John Lennon, Elvis Presley, and U.S. president John F. Kennedy (because their talent was cut short). Major television networks interrupted their regular programming to break the news; Tom Brokaw referred to Selena as "The Mexican Madonna". Her death was front-page news in The New York Times for two days. Numerous vigils and memorials were held in her honor and radio stations in Texas played her music non-stop. Her funeral drew 60,000 mourners, many of from outside the United States.

10. Her Legacy Continues to Live On

Selena had accomplished so much in her life but was still far from reaching her full potential. She was killed just weeks before her 23rd birthday. We will never know how far she could’ve gone, but her fans will never allow her memory to fade.