7 Signs You Grew Up in a Small Texas Town

From big trucks and backroads, to Friday night football games and Sunday morning church, there truly is nothing like growing up in a Texas small town.

174

A Texas small town is easily one of the greatest places to grow up, however, it is easy to overlook while living there. Personally, I viewed small-town-life as a curse, but since leaving, I have understood what a blessing it truly was.

Living in a small town equipped me with knowledge and experiences that I would not have been introduced to in any other environment. If you grew up in a small town like I did, you understand each of the following truths in great detail. If you grew up in a big town, not to worry, I am giving you the gift of an open glimpse into exactly what you missed out on by not growing up in a small town.

1. Your town is known for athletics, a small café, or speed traps.

The citizens of a small town take pride in who they are and what makes their town so special. Whether it’s a slice of pie from the Koffee Kup Family Restaurant in Hico, speed traps in Moody, the Western White House in Crawford, or athletics in Celina, each small town has its own unique identity.

2. Growing up in a small town, you were able to be the president of five clubs, the captain of your sports team, and maintain a 4.0.

The opportunities to get involved in a small town are endless. On the high school level, it is incredibly easy to participate in almost every extracurricular activity that your town has to offer. Whether you played every sport, were a member of every club, or did a combination of both, it was easy to excel in many things. At an adult level, it is easy to become a leader in your community through church activities, local clubs and organizations, as well as volunteering for a countless number of community projects. When you are from a small town, you learn exactly what it takes to be a successful leader. Whether you remain a leader in your town forever, or go on to something on a larger scale, the leadership opportunities in your tiny hometown sculpted you into the person that you are today, and for that you are eternally grateful.

3. You have an ability to make the most out of every situation.

Small towns lack activities. If you grew up in a small town, you understand the concept of making up your own fun. Whether it’s a game of cat and mouse, which is an over-the-top game of hide-and-seek, driving around for hours, or starting a prank war with your friends, you know how to make the best of a situation that seems almost helpless when it comes to fun. Personally, this quality in itself has given me a greater appreciation for the small things in life. It is easy to get excited about everything when you’ve spent your entire life having fun without anything more than your little town and the friends it gave you.

4. Football is not just a game played on Friday nights, it is a way of life and when football season is over, it can never seem to come back soon enough.

High school football is the heart of a small Texas town. In fact, football is so important to a small town that the town seems to completely shut down around the same time as kick-off. From newborns to elders, the entire town gathers in one place to enjoy the excitement that is Texas high school football. It is hard to ignore the sense of pride for your community while sitting in the stands, cheering on your hometown team to victory.

5. Most of the elders have been in your hometown for their entire life, and many of the students in your graduating class will follow suit in the same destiny.

Living somewhere you love is something unlike any other. Knowing every face you see and knowing people very deeply is truly a gift. Few are lucky enough to experience the fullness that a small town can bring. I truly believe that community and deep relationships are the two greatest gifts that we can receive in this life. A small town offers both and the wise seem to take advantage of that.

6. You don't waste time trying to keep your life a secret.

I personally believe that growing up in a small town taught me the importance of honesty and transparency. It is very difficult to keep anything a secret while living in a small town. People seem to have a way of figuring out every detail of your personal life, even the details you don’t ever remember revealing. If you value your reputation you must guard it with the upmost importance, and that is a lesson that is still incredibly valuable to me.

7. You are incredibly grateful of the place you call home.

I am an advocate for taking all of the situations you have been placed in throughout life and learning from those situations. I am also learning not to take the place I was raised for granted. I have learned that being known and known well was a gift that only a small town could have given me. That gift in itself is one I will treasure forever. There truly is no greater feeling than returning to a small town where people know me, love me, and want to truly know how my life is now that I have moved on. Going home is always sweet and I am forever thankful for the town that shaped me into the person I have become today.