A 'Supernatural' Experience Caught On Film

A feature on a superfandom and the world they've created.

355
Liza Brown

It's true when they say everyone's a fan of something. You might be a fan of a TV show or a brand of coffee, but the biggest fans normally become involved in something known as a fandom. For those who don't know what that is, it's defined as "the fans of a particular person, team, fictional series, etc., regarded collectively as a community or subculture." Now to put that into plainer English, it's a family of people who enjoy interacting with each other about their shared favorite thing.

There are many fandoms all over the internet but none quite like that of Supernatural fans. The TV show is still running strong in it's current eleventh season on the CW Network and fans show no sign of gaining disinterest. The actors and crew of the show are very interactive with fans through social media and during appearances at Supernatural conventions hosted by Creation Entertainment.

It was during these conventions that Clif Kosterman, bodyguard for Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, noticed just how special the Supernatural fans were. He then contacted his brother, Vancouver filmmaker and former actor, Mitch Kosterman, to talk with him about the idea of making a movie based around the whole experience. After a little bit of investigation, Mitch got to work and started by interviewing and filming fans at the 2013 Vancouver convention also known as VanCon. I got the chance to speak with Mitch Kosterman about his experience while working on this project and he spoke with pride by saying, "It is the best thing I have ever done. The fans like it. That's all Clif, Jared, or Jensen ever wanted. The rest is gravy."

This video project and website were brought to life by a team of people including the Kosterman's production company Two Sharks Media and online entertainment production company Frostbite Pictures. The cast of Supernatural also got on board with the film by giving interviews about their experiences with fans, the conventions, and everything involved with being in the #SPNFamily. (Watch a small trailer in the video below.)

All the footage was edited down into two final products, a 10-episode web series and a feature-length documentary. The web series is available now through Vimeo and will have new episodes released for the next three weeks. The full-length 90-minute movie will premiere March 10th at VegasCon accompanied with Q&A sessions with the producers before the official screening parties in Vancouver and Los Angeles coming this April. For fans interested in attending the screening parties, tickets can be found on the merchandise page of the official movie website along with DVD preorders.

When Mitch was asked about what encounter stuck with him the most he revealed that it was when he "first saw fans coming out of the photo-ops sobbing." Emotional moments like that are not uncommon in regards to Supernatural conventions and cast members. I also spoke with several fans who were so happy to share their experiences and photos but one photo stuck out the most above all.

Taylor Keener spoke firsthand about her amazing experience with actor Jared Padalecki at the 2015 convention in Minnesota. Taylor was standing in line getting ready to ask her question to Jared and Jensen on stage when she started experiencing a panic attack. In her words she described what happened next that led to this incredible photo:

"That whole time I just kept saying to myself 'Okay come on, come on, you can do this you can do this!' Jared and Jensen turned and looked at me after a girl was done asking her question. I went to say hi and couldn't breathe. I placed my hands on my eyes and wiped the tears and heard Jared ask my name. I said, "T-Taylor" he asked how I was and I said, "G-good" my panic attacks weren't this bad. I thought I could do it and I guess I kind of did. I spit out my question and when Jared got out of his seat to come hug me, I lost it. Tears raced down my face, my legs gave out as we hugged. He made me feel human. In my many years of living (being only 17) I've always felt alienated for how I looked, for how I talked, and for how I was raised, but at that moment I didn't feel like a monster. I felt like a normal 17-year-old girl."

This is just one of the many amazing stories and the photos shared by fans. If you're interested in reading more or sharing your own head over to the Salute to Supernatural convention Facebook page and make sure to watch Supernatural Fandom: The Movieas well as the web series where you can find out about how creative and kind Supernatural fans really are. Episode six of the web series is all about how the fans and cast work together to raise money for various charities and is sure to bring a tear to every eye in the room.

Interested in hearing about what a Supernatural convention is like for a first-time con attendee? Come back in October for my featured story when I attend my first Supernatural convention in Atlanta, Georgia!

A special thank you to Mitch Kosterman and Supernatural fans for interviews and photos.