2016 Academy Awards Thoughts And Predictions

Who will win and who should.

11

It's awards season! That's right, my favorite time of year has finally arrived. The Golden Globes are my playoffs and the Oscars, my Superbowl. On Thursday, Jan. 14, the nominees for the 2015 Oscars were announced and on Sunday, Feb. 28, the awards will be given out. Here are my picks and predictions for the most prestigious award that Leo can't seem to win... For now.

Best Picture

Historically, the number of nominees allowed in this category has changed, going from five to 10, and now anywhere between five and 10. Eight films have made the arbitrary cut this year and I think there's really only one clear winner: "The Revenant." As much as I would love to see "Spotlight" win, Alejandro González Iñárritu pretty much has the 'Best Picture' win in the bag for the second year in a row.

Best Actress

Some weird things are happening in this category. I should point out that this is Jennifer Lawrence's fourth Oscar nomination in six years, making her the most successful 20-something in the world while most of us are lucky to remember to brush our hair. A nomination out of left field for Charlotte Rampling in "45 Years" is reminiscent of Emmanuelle Riva's nomination for "Amour" back in 2012 and is probably just an attempt to throw Ms. Rampling a bone. Cate Blanchett is no stranger to the Oscars, of course, but none of these women can beat Brie Larson for her role in "Room." Even as a first-time nominee, I'm confident she'll bring home the gold on Feb. 28.

Best Actor

This is it! It's Leo's year. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt that six-time Academy Award nominee Leonardo DiCaprio will finally bring home the statue that has eluded him for years. "The Revenant" will finally be his ticket. I mean, he crawled into a horse for crying out loud. I'd love to see Bryan Cranston take home the award for "Trumbo" or even Michael Fassbender for "Steve Jobs," but it would be naive to expect anyone but DiCaprio.

Best Supporting Actress

This category is pretty much cut and dry. Although some were pulling for a double nomination for Alicia Vikander for her roles in "Ex Machina" and "The Danish Girl," the latter for which she is nominated, Kate Winslet has been racking up award after award for her role in "Steve Jobs" and Oscar night should prove no different. Congrats in advance, Ms. Winslet. You and Leo can finally share the Oscar stage!

Best Supporting Actor

Words cannot describe how excited I am that Tom Hardy finally received a long overdue nomination. I would love to see him win. However, I believe he will be edged out by none other than Sylvester Stallone, who has not been nominated for an Academy Award since 1977. His role in "Creed" has revived his career and shown that he, just like his famous character, Rocky Balboa, is the ultimate comeback kid.

Best Director

Firstly, I would like to say that a certain someone in this category proves that literally anything is possible. Adam McKay, director of "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy," "Step Brothers," and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" has been nominated for the best director Oscar for his film, "The Big Short." It is well-deserved as the film is one of the best of the year and nominated in four other categories. George Miller earned a nod for "Mad Max: Fury Road," which has 10 nominations overall, only second to "The Revenant," which has 12. Unfortunately for "Mad Max" fans, I believe that Alejandro González Iñárritu will win the best director trophy for the second year in a row. His success with last year's "Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)" allowed him to make "The Revenant" and he will be amply rewarded. Fingers crossed the presenter knows how to pronounce his name.

Alright, I'll see you on Oscar night! Join Chris Rock as he hosts the show on Feb. 28, 2016. on ABC. Watch out for Oscar bingo and an upcoming post on how to throw the ultimate Oscars viewing party.