Human Trafficking: The Modern-Day Slave Trade

Spread awareness of human trafficking to save a person's life and their human dignity.

89
http://cops.usdoj.gov/

Human Trafficking is the illegal trade of humans against their will for the purposes of sexual exploitation, forced labor, or modern-day slavery. In Michigan, women, children, and men are forced into prostitution, domestic servitude and other tasks for little or no pay. This social issue is the second-largest and fastest-growing criminal industry in the world, next to the Drug Trade. People are living their lives with friends and family and then just up and disappear because they are kidnapped by human traffickers. These people are sometimes never found.

According to the 2013 Human Trafficking Commission Report, “An estimated 20.9 million men, women, and children are trafficked for commercial sex or forced labor worldwide. Approximately 75% of these victims are female, and 27% are children. Many victims are taken from underdeveloped areas in Southeast Asia, the former Soviet Union, and Central and South America and sold in more developed regions in Asia, the Middle East, Western Europe, and North America. It is a very lucrative “business,” generating an estimated $32 billion annually. In fact human trafficking [is] the second largest criminal industry in the world, and the fastest growing.” I assume the other 3% are men.

Human traffickers tend to evade law enforcement by conducting their business online in secret. Social Media has played a huge role in communication between human traffickers and buyers by making the buying and selling of human lives faster and easier.

Human trafficking involves thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children who suffer from physical and psychological damage. Human bodies are beaten which inflicts internal damage and could lead to death if not treated immediately. Since slave traders cannot take them to hospitals because they will get caught, they leave "damaged goods" behind. Human trafficking increases the number of people who develop STDs including HIV/AIDS, infectious diseases such as TB and Hepatitis, and due to lack of medical care, chronical illnesses cannot be treated so many people die. Mental symptoms on survivors include PTSD due to the immense experience of trauma. Symptoms vary from mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, nightmares, to actually reliving the victim’s traumatic experience. As a society, it impacts our economic stability, National Security, and law. The fact that human traffickers go undetected and possess the ability to never be found along with their victims shows us that as humans we should be very concerned with our nation’s security. Also, by forcing people against their will to perform inhumane tasks for the profit of a single party has no benefit to our nation’s overall economy. In fact, it weakens our GDP.

Human Trafficking tends to go unnoticed. It is a low-key and under the radar business run by criminals looking for humans to make a profit off of. In Michigan, there are significant issues in regards to a lack of funding and having access to specialized resources in order to determine trafficking data. In Michigan’s Human Trafficking Commission Report of 2013, survey results and interview responses reveal that there are hundreds and thousands of victims being trafficked throughout the state. In order to decrease these numbers policy makers need to create more awareness of this social issue.

A little over a week ago we had human trafficking awareness week with an event called "End It." This was great. A movement to stop this social injustice is very much needed. However, a week is not enough time to put an end to human trafficking. If only the world was that simple....

Social Media resources need to be implemented and used for the good of saving these people because they do not have the means to save themselves. The state of Michigan needs to create a human trafficking public awareness campaign because people need to be made aware that human trafficking thrives throughout local businesses, communities, and homes. Informational meetings must be held by authorities who specialize in human trafficking cases in order to create awareness of being able to recognize human trafficking. Local colleges like my school Aquinas College need to be informed that human trafficking is very prominent in the west Michigan area so we can be aware and alert.

In Michigan, in July 2013, the FBI conducted “Operation Cross Country” where they do a sweep of select cities and liberate victims of child sex trafficking. This sweep was the largest and most successful. It was a 3 day and 76 city operation where 150 pimps were arrested and 105 children (ages 13-17) were rescued. There is a human trafficking hotline where people can call and report suspicious activity. Also, for human trafficking victims there are not nearly enough services to help them through the experience. Services are limited. More housing facilities need to be built, support groups, and enhancing communication networks among human trafficking service providers.

You would think we would have learned our lesson the first time. Owning slaves is the ultimate crime against humanity. It makes me sick that a father’s daughter who is my age can be abducted and sold into human trafficking for people to use and abuse her for sex. This social issue goes by unnoticed! It’s incredible how oblivious we are to human trafficking. I remember when victims of rape never came forth for fear of not being believed. But there are campaigns and stricter legislation. Simply saying human trafficking is illegal doesn’t do anything. The consequences of being caught as a human trafficker should be the result of the highest punishment so that no one in their right mind would think of wanting to go incognito and run a human trafficking business. These women and children are lost and cannot rectify their situation because they are prisoners and are constantly gagged and chained up. We need to be their voice. Anyone who doesn’t report signs of human trafficking will make me seriously question the state of our humanity.

The world is full of bystanders. We don't need another one. Speak up.

Use your voice when those sold into human trafficking cannot.

Save a life.

Please call the number below if you see any signs of human trafficking. Ask the operators questions if you're unsure about what you're seeing. They're open 24/7. Of course call 9-1-1 of ANY and ALL suspicious activity.