Ultimate Fall Bucket List: The University of Alabama

1550

Fall semester in Tuscaloosa is unlike any other college campus in the United States. Even though it may be similar to other SEC schools, such as Ole Miss or UGA, T-Town is still the best place to be during the autumn months.

Right before every school year begins, we have high hopes for our upcoming semester when it comes to academics, social activities, jobs, sports, and more. There are many things fall semester has to offer that the spring does not, so make sure you are adventurous and willing to try new things this time around.

The University of Alabama offers so much more than we think, which is why this upcoming semester is a perfect time to explore, make new friends, and step out of our comfort zones. We must take advantage of all the opportunities provided, and have the best fall semester ever.

1. Make this bid day the best one yet.

Whether you are an incoming freshman, rising sophomore, junior, senior or even a guy -- bid day is still one of the best days of fall semester. Celebrating the end of a stressful week with your best friends makes it all worth it, so make sure you are prepared for bid day 2015 with all the essentials, and enjoy it, because like Christmas; it only comes once a year.

2. Participate in the Color Run.

Tuscaloosa offers a Color Run on Aug. 29, this year, so be sure to sign up and participate! It is a great way to kick off the semester by doing something really fun, while being active with your friends. There are different types of runs available, so even if you are not a big runner, there are multiple ways to participate! Here is the link to sign up for the run in Tuscaloosa on Aug. 29: http://thecolorrun.com/tuscaloosa/

3. Stay for all four quarters during football games.

"Play for 4, stay for 4" has been a commonly used saying these past two years after many students began leaving football games before half-time, and even earlier. I know from personal experience that lasting an entire, winning football game is hard, but try to stay during the entire game this season. Like many other things we take for granted, our time as students is limited.

4. Drink a Yellowhammer(s) on game day.

The Yellowhammer is Tuscaloosa's signature drink, and an Alabama game day would not be complete without one, so make sure to stop by Gallette's and pick up one of these delicious drinks.

5. Go to a Concert at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.

The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater is a great place to see your favorite bands and singers for a very affordable price. There are some great shows coming up such as Phish on Aug. 2, and the Alabama Shakes on Aug. 20. Check out tickets here: http://www.tuscaloosaamphitheater.com/schedule-and...

6. Take a dog out for happy hour.

The Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter offers "Happy Hour" Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between the hours of 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Happy Hour allows anyone with a valid driver's license to take out the puppy for the day and give it exercise, as well as speed up their adoption process. Playing with a puppy for a few hours is a great way to relieve stress, be active, and help a dog find a loving home! For more information on Happy Hour, visit http://www.metroanimalshelter.org/happyhour.html

7. Attend away football games.

We are fortunate enough to be driving distance from many of our opposing teams, such as Ole Miss, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Miss St., etc. This football season, make sure to arrange trips with your friends to attend these games. Once football season is over, you will miss it like crazy and wish that you took the three-hour drive with your friends to see the Tide play, so don't stay in Tuscaloosa every away game weekend, because you don't want to be sitting in B Phil's watching the game while constantly refreshing your Instagram feed and being jealous of those at the game. You will experience extreme FOMO (fear of missing out).

8. Play Bingo at Moe's on a Monday Night.

Bingo is no longer just for the elderly. Monday nights at Moe's BBQ are filled with bingo games, raffles, and awesome prizes. The best part of winning bingo? You win Moe's Money, which is basically a gift card for the bar. As we are getting older, going out during the week is nearly impossible, but definitely make an effort this semester to go at least once.

9. Go cliff jumping at Lake Nicol.

This is a staple activity for UA students, especially in the beginning of the year, and the end, when the temperature has reached above 80 degrees. Going to the cliffs is a great way to make a super hot day really fun, but remember to be smart and careful at the same time because you are jumping off a cliff, not a diving board.

10. Go to band parties.

As we get older, band parties are starting to seem like a place where anyone older than a freshman is not wanted there. That's not true. Band parties are awesome and really fun to go to (every once in a while) even if you are on the older side. There is no age limit on going to a band party, so have fun this semester and go with a group of your friends.

11. Pray there is another snow day -- and, hopefully, play.

Tuscaloosa has seen snow two times, now, in the past two years and as a student, I have never loved snow days more. Growing up in the North, snow days were always a hassle and a pain, but snow days in T-Town are the best. Aside from darties, snow days are the only other time that it is acceptable to go to Gallette's at 12 p.m., or run around a fraternity house's lawn during the day.

11. Get involved on campus.

A new year is the perfect time to get involved on campus and broaden your networks. UA offers a ton of clubs and organizations for everyone with all interests. For those of you who like to write, maybe joining The Odyssey would be a great way to get involved. There is no limit on involvement and volunteer work, especially in college, so this semester be sure to explore what is out there. For more information on ways to get involved, visit https://www.ua.edu/life.html

13. Treat this semester like it could be your last.

Time flies even quicker in college, so don't be afraid to have fun on the weekends after a long week of hard work.