Mission Trips Today Are Useless

Mission Trips Today Are Useless

Don't go for an Instagram photo.

526
Mission Trips Today Are Useless
YWAM

I am a born and bred Christian.

Since birth and throughout my life, I was submersed into the Christian realm with youth groups, Sunday service, Wednesday bible studies and all the youth camps a kid can attend. You could say, I was definitely an A+ Christian, the prodigy, the do-gooder.

With that, several traditions and events were implanted in my brain and everyday lifestyle; missions was one of them.

The glorious ideology of attending a mission trip and "serving Christ" was almost like an expectation of any Christian. If God gave you so much, who could you sit and just take it? Isn't that selfish and unrighteous?

However, after attending a university that expects its students to go out and minister to people, I have come to the conclusion that the term "missions" has lost all of its value.

Several people are only attending missions for their own personal benefit. As if a picture with an African kid makes you a better person, or, perhaps a "candid" photo of you helping a Peruvian woman with her grocery bag makes you a devote Christian.

I am sorry to say that if your only reason for attending a mission trip is to travel and have an epic Instagram photo, then please save your money and do not go. You are not a missionary, rather you are just selfish.

As harsh as that may seem, let me explain myself.

I have attended mission trips for the past five consecutive years with an organization that travels to the pueblos on the border of Mexico; places where people do not speak English, do not have medical attention and are in fear of being captured and detained by cartels. We serve the communities by attending to their medical needs that are causing them great pain and suffering. We don't sleep in four-star hotels nor do we eat Olive Garden after a day's work. We sleep where we are permitted, even if it's on the ground. We eat what we are given because the trip is not about me. It's about them and that's the way it should always be.

Does this make me a good Christian? No.

The point is not to forget mission trips as a whole. The point is to reflect on why you attending the trip. If it's for a good photo, don't go. If it's for a pat on the back, don't go. If it's for a bullet point on your resume, don't go. If it's just because you feel like it, don't go.

Mission work is a calling and unlike what several Christians believe, not even should do it and is cut-out to do it.

Think about why you are going to go and really ask God if you are meant to go. If God is sending you, follow Him. If your own desire is telling you to go, do not attend the mission trip. In doing so, you are hurting the image of a Christian and the life of someone who really thought you cared about them.