12 Places To Explore Around Fairfield

12 Places To Explore Around Fairfield

A 30 minutes or less travel guide for the adventurous or outdoorsy stag.

2419
12 Places To Explore Around Fairfield
tripadvisor.com

There is no denying that the Fairfield University campus is gorgeous. It's prime location on the Long Island Sound allows for some beautiful and easily accessible beach views. However, the new semester and new year calls for a change of scenery. The mild winter we're having is perfect for some exploring. For the adventurous stags (with cars on campus), here's a list of parks and beaches within 30 minutes of Fairfield to explore:

1. Sherwood Island State Park, Westport, CT

A new perspective to appreciate the Long Island Sound, it spans 238 acres of beach, wetlands and woodlands. I've visited this spot before and can vouch for the spectacular sunrises (if you're willing to wake up that early) and sunsets. Its a 13 minute drive from the university, making it one of the closer locations on the list.

2. Devil's Den Preserve, Weston, CT

You're lying if you say that you don't want to visit solely after reading the name. Sneakers or hiking boots are definitely necessary if you're planning to explore the various trails. As one of the furthest spots on the list, its a 30 minute drive from campus.

3. Lake Mohegan, Fairfield, CT

One of the closest on the list, it's a 10 minute drive from campus. While there, make sure to check out the Cascades. Instead of parking at the recreation center lot, park at the north Cascades lot. Following the trail will lead you to a waterfall. The space is dog friendly, too which means you don't have to wait until finals week to destress with puppies.

4. Burying Hill Beach, Westport, CT

This is another great sunrise/sunset spot for when you need to get away from the town of Fairfield. The wetlands at the border of the park are also beautiful if you need something new to feature on your Instagram. It's a short 12 minute drive from campus.

5. The Rolnick Observatory, Westport, CT

This one isn't a park or beach, but it is really awesome. Every Wednesday, the Westport Astronomical Society opens the observatory to the public to get up close and personal with the stars. Take a study break this semester and enjoy the show from 8 to 10 p.m. It's only a 15 minute drive from campus anyway.

6. Pequonnock River Valley State Park, Trumbull, CT

This trail is also called the Housatonic Rail-Trail. Whatever you want to call it, take the 20 minute drive to see it. The many paths ensure a new adventure with every visit so you can keep going back.

7. Twin Brooks Park, Trumbull, CT

Also a 20 minute drive to Trumbull, this park is a better option than another trip to the mall. More appealing for the cautious adventurers that don't love the outdoors, it features pretty views without having to go off the paved pathway.

8. Great Hollow Lake, Monroe, CT

Falling on the farther end of the spectrum, its a good place to visit when you need some distance. The lake itself is located in Wolfe Park which offers other amenities. Really, you should check out the lake whose pathway lets you walk on water.

9. Webb Mountain Park, Monroe, CT

Located in the same town as the last park, it's equally a far drive. However, for adventurers that like the view from above, this trip is definitely worth it. The mountain features various hiking paths for both the more gentle and more extreme explorers.

10. Indian Well State Park, Shelton, CT

The farthest drive from campus, I added it to the list despite it being a little over 30 minutes away. It made the list despite this because of the beautiful waterfalls and lake. You might want to revisit this spot during warmer weather, too because people can swim at the base of the waterfall.

11. Silver Sands State Park, Milford, CT

This beach park is a little under 20 minutes from campus. At low tide you can walk to Charles Island roughly half a mile off the coast. There's also a walkway that crosses over the sand and marshland. Of course, it also features incredible views of the Long Island Sound.

12. Gallaher Mansion and Cranbury Park, Norwalk, CT

The last spot is definitely a less rugged way to appreciate nature than some of the other spots on the list. The dazzling mansion and grounds have their own charm. The manicured gardens can't be missed. It's the perfect spring trip for later in the semester when the flowers are blooming.