5 Things I Miss About Yuma | The Odyssey Online

5 Things I Miss About Yuma

It's a City of Beginnings

154
5 Things I Miss About Yuma
http://people-dont-have-to-be-anything-else.wikia.com/wiki/Yuma,_Arizona,_USA

Yuma, the city everyone knows because they've been to California. It might be blazing hot with the 100-degree weather, which obviously isn't suited for everyone, but Yumans can definitely take the heat and embrace it. Many think it's a small town with nothing but the scenery of cactus and snowbirds, but in reality it's a city of beginnings and is the starting point for many people, like myself. Yuma molded me into the person I am today and the person whom I will become. Once you leave the southwestern town you realize it was way more important than you ever thought. Here are five things I miss about Yuma.

1. Authentic Mexican food

It doesn't matter where you go you'll never get authentic Mexican food unless it's at home, Mexico or Yuma. The thing about Yuma is we support our local businesses, so business owners have the clientele and the home-taught skills to serve some delicious meals. Carne asada, burritos, flautas, you name it we have it and it will be the best you'll ever have. It might sound bias since I'm from the place, but once you take a bite into a Stan's breakfast burrito or Chile Pepper's bean and cheese burrito you'll understand my struggle. Shout out to the nearby towns that also serve some Mexican realness!

2. Border

Mexico is only 5 minutes away and trust me being a border town is the best thing that can happen to you. The food, the low prices and especially the clubbing. When it came to Friday/Saturday night we all knew it was time to hit up Sky, Inferno, La Bajada or even Boobies. And if you were the type of person to go out on a Sunday, Hawaii never disappointed. I mean it was sketchy but definitely fun. La linea was the worst but the fast and cheap doctor appointments were worth it. Though Mexico is great, the best part about Yuma was the proximity to everything: Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, Puerto Peñasco and much more! Yuma is the middle point to the places everyone wants to go.

3. Outside activities

"There's nothing to do in Yuma," yeah that's because we make our own fun. Dunes aka County 19 was the hot spot to be after passing your AIMS. Though many lives were lost out there (RIP) it was nothing but a good old time with family and friends. And who could forget about the float-downs at the river. Too much underage drinking, naked girls and sunburns. Great memories you wouldn't get with a big city life where you're expected to buy your fun.

4. Scenery

It's something you don't think about very much, but Yuma can have some amazing sundowns and sunsets. Whether it was watching the sun come out with the compas or watching it go down on your afternoon walks, the Yuma sky is definitely a breathtaking one. I mean we're not called the sunniest city on earth for no reason. Put it on your bucket list because it's worth while. Also, though many would disagree, the agriculture fields that fill the landscape is also one of kind. I guess you start seeing perfection in the little thing for a place near and dear to your heart.

5. Community

The community Yuma possesses is one of a kind. We are willing to give each other a helping hand whether it be with a neighbor, a friend or even a stranger. It's a place where genuine people arise or, at least, that's what I've seen in comparison to living in a bigger city the past three years. You start to miss everything the city stands for but you're happy for all it's taught you.