If You're Democratic or Republican, You Need to Hear This | The Odyssey Online

If You're Democratic or Republican, You Need to Hear This

An Article Welcome to Discussion

6
Independent journal Review

I know everyone is sick of the opinions that are being pushed all over the internet, but I have yet to put my two cents in. I have a few different things that I want to touch on so please bear with me.

I voted for Hillary. Personally, I just did not want Trump in office. I saw that she was more qualified for the job. I understand that others wanted change and I respect that. However, I have a few things that I really want to say to both groups since the new president was elected.

First, to the Hillary voters: I am sorry that we lost. We did everything that we could, but the nation has spoken. I know that there are a lot of people who are upset with this result and I respect those of you who are using your right to peacefully assemble. You are doing everything correctly. You are using your rights and speaking your mind, just like Hillary wants you to do.

However, I see on social media that there are a lot of people using the hashtag "NotMyPresident". And I hate to break it to you, as much as you want to deny it, it is not true. You are a citizen of this country and this country elected him as the next president. It's how our country works, even if we (including Trump) don't like it, it's how it is done.

So I ask you, as a fellow Clinton voter, please do not shame those who voted for Trump. I know that there is a lot going on now: there's xenophobia, homophobia, racism, sexual assault, and so much more arising from this election. The people committing these acts, though, are a small number of the Trump supporters. I have seen maybe 30 cases of this happening on social media, but those 30 or 40 people that I see are a small part of the population that support him. So please, do not make this completely about republicans. It is not going to help anyone by blaming the entire other party for a few people. I know that we should not take these cases lightly and I understand your fear, but if you live your life in fear, then we will never get anything done.

Please, please, please do not let fear stop you from practicing your faith, loving who you love, and respecting your heritage. Because if you do that, then there will be nothing special in this world.

Now Trump supporters. Congratulations! Your voice for change was represented and you earned it. You've spent the last 12+ months being called racists, bigots, homophobes, etc. You have spent the last 12+ months being told that your candidate is a joke. But you still persevered and you got him into the white house.

Now, do not turn around and begin to call the people who voted for Hillary your own names. Please don't say we are throwing tantrums for losing, because the majority of what I have seen is peaceful protest. I did see someone burning a flag on social media, but I have reason to believe that Trump supporters would have done something along the same lines if Hillary won the election. I believe that Trump supporters would be protesting if Hillary won, just as Hillary supporters are doing now.

Please do not use this to say "I told you so" and then sit down and let everything happen. I know that most people do not agree with every single aspect that Trump says he will do. I don't think that it is statistically possible. So use your power of numbers, which we all saw on Tuesday night, to stand up for what you want. We are the people's nation and we all have a voice. Do not let other Trump supporters make half of this nation fearful. I hope that you all will take the high road and show that Trump supporters are not all racists and bigots like the media is making you out to be.

I really hope that this election does not take us back many years, but instead opens us up to other cultures and I hope that we can all learn from this in the end.

*All opinions stated are my own. I hope that I do not hurt anyone by writing this, but I feel that I have a right to voice my opinions as much as anyone else. Thank you.*