Some Words For My Younger Sister | The Odyssey Online

Some Words For My Younger Sister

To the person I love to hate.

19
Some Words For My Younger Sister
Author's Photo

Hey Bird.

As I get ready to leave for college in a week, the more it hits me that this is going to be a time of change for the both of us. After 16 years of being together, we're now going to have to adjust to being miles apart, and seeing each other only on holidays and breaks. Thankfully with the advances in technology (thanks Apple!), we'll be able to communicate all the time, but with the new changes coming our way, there are some things I want to say before I leave.

First, thank you. Thank you for being my very first friend, playmate, my partner in crime. Thanks for going along and doing everything I wanted to do, because I was older and you didn't really have a choice (just kidding... maybe). Thank you for keeping all my secrets, especially the ones I didn't want mom and dad knowing about right away (winky wink).

Thank you for always wanting to tag along, cause as much as I say I don't like it, running errands with you is always a good time.

Thank you for being my date on Saturday nights, even though 10/10 times we're normally dressed in Soffe shorts and t shirts running to Wawa for mac and cheese bowls and quesadillas.

Thanks for giggling every time the cashier is trying to flirt with me and I don't even notice cause I'm too busy making sure I stick my card back in it's proper home.

Thanks for telling me that I really shouldn't eat that entire pint of B&J Half Baked, but not judging me when I totally do.

Thank you for being the only other person I can binge watch Netflix with (even though I will never understand your love for Grey's, I just don't get it).

Most importantly, thank you for your undying support. I don't say it nearly enough, and I think I speak for a lot of older sisters when I say that we don't appreciate our little cheerleader as much as we should. Friends come and go, but you're always the one who remains. You're always told that you have to set the example cause you're the older one, but I've never really taken into account how much that actually means. Having a sister is having someone who loves you no matter what, who grows up thinking that there is no one smarter, prettier, funnier in the entire world than you. And although they're single handedly the most annoying person ever, I can't even begin to count the times that your love has picked me up when I'm down, and I think it's time I tried to return the favor. Even though I'm literally only a phone call/text away, please try to remember some important things I've picked up on.

Forgive- Yes I know, I'm Queen Stubborn and have cut people off at the drop of a hat, and it's something I'm still trying to get better at, but be the better version of me. Life is entirely too short to be holding grudges, and holding them against people that in a few years will have absolutely no significance on your life is a waste of time. Learn to forgive, and things will go smoother I promise (plus you can always vent to me, I can (try to) be an unbiased third party!)

Listen to Mom and Dad- Ugh, gag right? What do they know? Believe it or not, the old coots sometimes know what they're talking about, and it really wouldn't hurt to listen to them every once in a while (don't tell them I said that they are ever right).

Just listen- This seems so trivial, but it's hard to find people who will just listen to what you have to say, and it's a trait I've learned to value in myself and others. Sometimes all people need is someone to just listen to them, not offering half-assed advice or some profound advice they read on a fortune cookie. Do that, and it'll make a huge difference in your relationships, guaranteed.

There's a bunch of other things that aren't coming to mind right now (plus I'm not writing a book here), but I know I've trained you well in these 16 years, and you will survive with me gone. I can't even put into words how much I'll miss having you at my disposal (just kidding). You are singlehandedly the best person I know, you're me but a thousand times better (who even knew that was possible??) You're incredibly kind, funny, beautiful inside and out, and you have this gentleness that I'll never be able to replicate. This is your time to shine and thrive, and I can't tell you how proud I am to be your big sister. Don't miss me too much, Thanksgiving will be here before you know it. I love you.

((DISCLAIMER: All of this goes out the window if I come home and my closet has been picked over like roadkill. I know where you live, and will come find you to exact my revenge. xoxoxoxo))