You Know You Go To UVA When | The Odyssey Online

You Know You Go To UVA When

When you've been home for the summer for 48 hours and you are concerned about your need for a Bodo's bagel.

465
You Know You Go To UVA When

Many schools nationwide have students beaming with pride and school spirit. Sometimes, there are telltale signs that show a student is clearly a student (or alum) of a specific school. With its rich tradition and ways in which it is unique, the University of Virginia is one of these schools. When all of the students return home for the summer, it doesn’t take long for people in the surrounding area to know who the Hoos are. If you identify with any of the things on this list, congratulations, you are a proud Hoo!

1. Identifying your year in college by the number, not the term

After finishing my first year at UVA and finally getting used to the “odd” terminology of Mr. Jefferson’s University, when talking with anyone from home, I had to catch myself after talking about my other “first year” friends to my high school peers who were “freshmen." Now after finishing my second year, I find myself hesitating to tell adults that I’m about to be a “junior” in college instead of a “third year." Although this mix-up can get confusing for some people, I think it just actually makes it sound like I’m returning home for the summer from Hogwarts, and I’m fine with that.

2. Your cover photo on Facebook is part of the landscape

Many Hoos take their school pride to social media. Whether it is a great panorama picture of The Lawn or a picture of you and all your friends on the Corner or in front of the “I Love Charlottesville A Lot” sign downtown, you can tell a Hoo and when they are in Cville from their online presence as well as the things they say and how they dress.

3. Referring to college campuses only as “Grounds"

Here is another nit-picky term from Jefferson, and many students are called out and corrected upon starting their years at UVA. No matter if you are a first year or a transfer student, if you are still calling Grounds “campus” by mid-October, you might not be surrounding yourself with friends who care enough about you to correct this ludicrous behavior.

4. Bleeding orange and blue in every way

Packing up your living space and coming home for the summer is a good time for taking inventory of all the clothing you have accumulated over the year (and some of it may not be yours), but it is always surprising to me how much UVA or Virginia clothing I find. T-shirts, sweatshirts, socks, the list is endless, and when I return home to dump them on my younger sibling to encourage a UVA mindset at a young age, he presents me with a small pile of t-shirts that he already owns. I think UVA has fairies that slide into our drawers at night when we're at school and present us with gear every so often, because I really do not remember spending half a year’s tuition at the bookstore, but my closet would say otherwise.

5. Autocorrect changes “who’s” in your phone to “HOOS"

I’m not actually sure if this is a definite characteristic of every UVA student, but I think it happens to the true fans of the athletic department or just those who like being punny over text when they invite their friends to lunch. This feature about my phone is funny at times, but when I get home and ask in a group chat with high school friends who wants to do something, they often send confused responses back and kindly remind me that I’m not at school right now. Whatever, a piece of my heart will always stay in Charlottesville.

6. Unhealthy cravings for Bodo’s Bagels

If this stage of being a surefire UVA student has not yet started for all the Hoos home for the summer, I’m sorry for presenting this idea to you, but it was bound to happen soon enough. At times I feel bad for people at other schools because I’m not exactly sure how they survive without the forever delicious and convenient Bodo’s bagels. They are in fact so good that this is often the last stop I have when leaving Charlottesville and one of my first upon returning.

7. Unexplained excitement for the opening of the Rotunda

For two long years, the keystone landmark of the University has been closed for construction and renovation, and students who are rising third years have not been inside it as students, if they have even been in it at all. Recently, the fence in front of the Rotunda was taken down on one side, and students can now walk up the steps and get close to it. It is supposed to be fully open for graduation, and students are looking forward to entering this beautiful building once again.

8. Love for late night food

At such a great University, many Hoos are a part of the “work hard, play hard” nature of the school. This means that the Corner is supported by students well into the early hours of the morning. It doesn’t matter if you are contributing to the wrap-around line at Christians, if you’re sitting in the window at Little Johns, or gaining new Instagram followers from the guys working at White Spot, you know you’re a Hoo when you’re happy to be chowing down with your friends late at night. Let’s face it, it might not be the best decision, but you will feel better in the morning.

If you could relate to one or all of the things on this list, you are indeed a true Wahoo. So celebrate your pride and let your friends from home know that you are happy to attend one of the best schools in the country. GO HOOS!