You Can't Rush The Self Love Process | The Odyssey Online

You Can't Rush The Self Love Process

You're strong and worthy in every way no matter what.

12
You Can't Rush The Self Love Process
Tera Fraley Photography via Flickr

I am 22 years old, and I don't love myself the way I probably should or be expected to.

I know a lot of people who feel this way. There are so many characteristics, features and traits people wish they could change or get rid of completely. As the wonderful Lady Gaga likes to put it, "'Cause you were born this way, baby."

I was. You were. We all are. We are all born this way, and it takes longer to accept what we know can't happen, change or get rid of. Self love is never taught in our society and lives. It never has; we are taught to hate our flaws and not notice our traits that make us, us.

At the early age of 7, I could notice my body becoming bigger and gaining fat at a much faster pace than anyone else. Fast forward 15 years later, I am now here unlearning all of my bad habits that have gotten me this "fat." As much as I hate being as large as I am, I continue to take one day at time and appreciate all the traits I do love.

The media plays a huge role in telling us our flaws if we don't look a certain way. Being peer pressured at a young age and on, we are constantly comparing ourselves to our classmates and peers. Our parents or caregivers are always feeding into our thoughts of what we should grow up to be and to follow in their footsteps, or not. If we are not like someone on television or movies, we get criticized.

As Millennials, we are expected to meet these unrealistic standards in mind, body, beauty, personality, future and soul that can never be achieved.

It's bizarre that we can't be who we are or want to be without anyone's unwanted permission. It slows down the process in loving yourself and makes it one hundred times harder.

Loving yourself is being happy, pleased and at home in your mind, body and soul. It is when you know that if you change, it is meant to be. It is when you know that no one can bring you down. It is when you don't let anyone else's words hurt you. It is knowing that you can be whomever you want to be. Loving yourself and knowing your worth does not come overnight. It doesn't work that way.

Loving yourself means unlearning all the negative words someone has said. It means noticing the lumps, bumps, scars, marks and healed bruises as battle marks you won. It means looking yourself in the mirror and noticing the beauty from within and out. Loving yourself is appreciating all that you are.

There's no date, time or location for this to happen, but you will know when you have found the love for yourself. You will have moments that make you realize how awesome you are. You will notice how much weight is taken off your shoulders. You will notice that there is nothing standing in your way from what you want or need. Most importantly, you will know that you don't need any validation from anyone and the only person you need to ever forgive is yourself.

I promise that these moments will happen or maybe already have. You will reach that point and realize how wonderful you are for you and you will not need anyone's permission to be who you want to be. Ever.