Yes, Im Single. No, I don't hate Valentine's Day. | The Odyssey Online

Yes, Im Single. No, I don't hate Valentine's Day.

One of the most heartful and dreaded days when you're single.

26
http://www.aliiresorts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/valentines-day-in-maui-600x600.png

It has come.

Valentine's Day has come and it's here in full force. Within the next four weeks, we will be surrounded by lovebirds and lovey dovey couples who show their love in candies and little heart shaped candies along with big stuffed Teddy Bears from Costco or Walmart. Over the years, I've learned how to ignore those couples and spend time with my friends. However, I feel this is year is a bit different. Maybe it's because I do like someone and I have no idea if they return the feelings or are single.

I want to say something right now.

Yes, Im Single. No, I don't hate Valentine's Day. Not anymore.

Throughout the years we are told that if we are single, we should hate the holiday. I was like that for years (even though it has good memory for me), until I grew out of it two years ago. Yes, it makes me feel depressed whenever I see couples walking around, at the movies or at dinner with roses. However, I turned it into a holiday where I can celebrate my love for my love ones and friends. Even though I express that every day whenever I hang out with them.

In high school, I always dreaded Valentine's Day because of how it was treated among the students and couples. I was jealous of that girl who got something sweet from her significant other, or a secret admirer. I always thought, why can't that be me? Who gets spoiled by a guy who loves me and wants the world to know that he does. Why can't I have someone who shows me that kind of love? Over time, I still thought that. Especially in my Senior year of high school. I thought, will I ever have that?

I learned over time. It took a while to tell myself that I will get that one day, but it was a sign that I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready. When I got to college, I thought the same thing but it's different in college. We don't have that kind of thing, and some couples share their love for their significant other in other ways. College has changed my view on Valentine's day, and it's for the best.

I don't get jealous that someone got spoiled by their significant other. In fact, I'm happy that they have someone who loves and wants to spoil them.

I have a bunch of friends who I'm surrounded with, whom I care a lot about and love. In a platonic way. I know that they care a lot about me and I know that they love me as well. I think that is one way to spend Valentine's Day, is by surrounding yourself with friends who mean a lot to you.