The Therapeutic Advantages Of Writing | The Odyssey Online

The Therapeutic Advantages Of Writing

Some people need reasons to write. Here are some that could make writing a daily thing.

3
The Therapeutic Advantages Of Writing
Jeffrey James Pacres

Let's face it, life isn't always as easy as some people think it is. In the worst of situations, sometimes going to a professional therapist can be expensive and there is nobody that you know who you are comfortable to talk to about your certain situation. If your emotional state gets too severe, it can begin to affect your everyday life and this is when problems start to occur. It is at this point where something needs to be done, but what exactly can you do? There actually is a simple way to handle this that not a lot of people would think of: writing. Writing can be one of the most mind-easing activities a person can do and can be a good substitute to talking to someone if you either have nobody to talk to at the time, or simply are not comfortable talking to somebody else about it.

Let's look at the facts of writing specifically in the case of writing a personal journal. Depending on your preferences, a journal will never be seen by anyone else so it will always be kept a secret for as long as you want. A piece of paper will never correct your spelling or grammar mistakes so don't feel like you're going to be graded for doing it. A piece of paper will never ask you to stop swearing after every other word, so you can use as much profanity as you feel necessary. In basic terms, there is no limits to what you can do when you write a personal journal. A recommendation is to try to avoid using the backspace if you're keeping a journal on a Microsoft Word document as it would hinder your ability to just write naturally. Writing naturally is the best way to really let your emotions out. Once you manage to let go of these emotions, getting through your days may become much easier for you.

Writing journal entries aren't the only thing that can benefit mental health. The different types of things you can write expand far beyond a classic journal entry. If a loved one passes away, a good way to handle the grieving process is writing a personal letter to them. Do it like you would any letter and mention any good memories you had with them. It can be a good final gift to them. Another type is to "write a conversation." This is similar to a class journal entry, only with this, write as if you are actually talking to another human being and refer to the journal like a human. Some might call this a sad substitute for not talking to somebody else, but in reality, it is a good way to be able to express yourself and give you an idea of what to say to somebody if you ever decide to open up to somebody about your problems. If you do not know how to explain a situation that you are in with somebody else, write out what you want to say onto a piece of paper, and simply show that to them. Let it do the talking for you.

Some people ask "what is the point of writing if nobody is going to read it." Well, this is the point sometimes, to clear your head about something. The only person that really needs to read something you write is yourself and do not let anybody else tell you otherwise.